MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admins, and full stars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Whenever I log on to a mybb forum or any type of forum and the admins and mods have full stars under their name,
it just doesn't look right to me, am I right or wrong? Here. on mybb.com I have 4 stars under my name,
how do I get more stars, more posting perhaps.

anyhow when I see full stars on admin accounts, it looks pretentious.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, idk.
I dislike the star system, but have the full number of stars under my name - it's just a way of quickly indicating to members who to go to if there's a problem with anything.
In ACP group settings you can define, how many stars the usergroups have.

Registered users get their stars in dependence of user titles settings.
Hey guys, true and true. But as I was saying, it doesn't look right when admins have full stars, moderator is a good title. admin is a good title, full stars for admin is not a good way to give the users an equal impression. I always see admin with full stars as if admins are kings, and everyone else is just a peasant, if you look at a lot of the sites, there just so many rules and regs and reasons to get banned and do this and don't do that, the whole admin full stars goes along with that feeling.
(2017-02-02, 01:47 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, true and true. But as I was saying, it doesn't look right when admins have full stars, moderator is a good title. admin is a good title, full stars for admin is not a good way to give the users an equal impression. I always see admin with full stars as if admins are kings, and everyone else is just a peasant, if you look at a lot of the sites, there just so many rules and regs and reasons to get banned and do this and don't do that, the whole admin full stars goes along with that feeling.

Michael - you're entitled to do on your own site what you like!

On my site, no-one has stars as we're adults, we know we're equal, and don't need silly kiddy-style kudos or labelling. Only I have stars (full complement) as there are 2 of us admins, but the other one deals purely with technical stuff, so with my stars newbies know immediately who to go to if they have non-tech problems.  

We only have 3 rules - no abuse/keyboard warrior-ship; no plagiarism; and keeping confidentiality.

I've only had to ban 4 people in 10 years! one for his own sake (was developing a problem with gambling).
(2017-02-02, 02:27 AM)Ryor2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-02, 01:47 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, true and true. But as I was saying, it doesn't look right when admins have full stars, moderator is a good title. admin is a good title, full stars for admin is not a good way to give the users an equal impression. I always see admin with full stars as if admins are kings, and everyone else is just a peasant, if you look at a lot of the sites, there just so many rules and regs and reasons to get banned and do this and don't do that, the whole admin full stars goes along with that feeling.

Michael - you're entitled to do on your own site what you like!

On my site, no-one has stars as we're adults, we know we're equal, and don't need silly kiddy-style kudos or labelling. Only I have stars (full complement) as there are 2 of us admins, but the other one deals purely with technical stuff, so with my stars newbies know immediately who to go to if they have non-tech problems.  

We only have 3 rules - no abuse/keyboard warrior-ship; no plagiarism; and keeping confidentiality.

I've only had to ban 4 people in 10 years! one for his own sake (was developing a problem with gambling).

I like no stars most, thanks for replying.
I've completely removed userstars from the equation. They're mostly useless.
(2017-02-02, 02:20 PM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]I've completely removed userstars from the equation. They're mostly useless.

That is a great dam point, that is exactly what I'm going to do, remove the stars, what is the point, it looks, well, it looks unnecessary and childish in a way.
Especially when admins have full stars, I just hate the look of that.
I feel that stars can be replaced with reps which will actually show how much of a MVP a member is.
I feel that way it is better.

Regards
WallBB
(2017-02-04, 04:02 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]I feel that stars can be replaced with reps which will actually show how much of a MVP a member is.
I feel that way it is better.

Regards
WallBB

Reps sound cool, as long as admins don't start out with full rep, as in more rep than anyone else, because that would fall along the same lines as admins with full stars which is so cheesy, to me. Site reputation, I seen a mybb forum here, Sharree, that uses hearts, that is cool. I actually really liked it.
Pages: 1 2