MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Page content update issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there, 

Recently my forum has started experiencing some weird issues and I have been unable to find information or the source of problem to accurately troubleshoot the issue. 

myBB version: 1.8.4

The issue comes with refreshing the page/ reloading the page and the forum seems to be struggling to display contents in an updated fashion. 

Example #1: Clicking on the browser's refresh button or F5 will refresh the page and new content (such as icons displaying new threads, new threads, replies, pms) will show up correctly and updated. However clicking anywhere on the forums themselves, for example on the forum logo which leads to the main forum directory (example.com <- where the forum resides) will load up the page but it will load up a weird, what it seems like cached, version - a page will look like 2 hours behind in content. 

Example #2: Logging in to the forums and after successfully entering the correct login data will lead to the "login successful" page and will redirect me back to the main forum directory however I will not be logged in. And trying to login again will repeat the loop. Only after clicking the browser's refresh button or F5 will lead to the page showing me logged in. It is as if the forum is always one step behind the real time. 

Example #3: There is no full page load experience. I don't know how to describe it - but it doesn't feel like the page is being loaded when clicking on any buttons or links and the data is being updated real time from a database. Yes, it leads to the thread/ pm or anywhere but it doesn't feel like it is being loaded, it feels like you know javascript quick load in as if the data is taken from cache without actual real time database update. Now this is by no means a technical description, but a feeling. The page doesn't feel like it gets reloaded, rather blinks for a second and that's it. 

It is really weird, as we had not done any modifications to the forums lately, the forums have been up for nearly 3 years no without issues, and checking the administation logs confirm that there were no system changes done. Me being the only one with the FTP access I can confirm that there were no changes done outside the forum environment. 

Looking forward to hints how to fix the issue. 

Grateful,

Ren
It sounds like server level caching, what's you URL? Also the first thing you need to do after this is fixed it to update to 1.8.10, 1.8.4 was released almost 2 years ago.
(2017-02-02, 09:18 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like server level caching, what's you URL? Also the first thing you need to do after this is fixed it to update to 1.8.10, 1.8.4 was released almost 2 years ago.

Hello,

thank you for putting me on the right track. I will look into the server side then.

url: l2thedawn.com
Okay, we need the MyBB Powered By message to be in place to receive support here, we won't be able to assist any further until it's added back I'm afraid.

In the mean time, you'd be best to ask your host whether they have server level caching installed (we've seen this a lot recently, however whether your host will actually tell you the truth about it being installed is anyone's guess).