MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PM Popup Alert & IE6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm seeing a problem with IE6 and the PM pop up alert box ...

If you are running IE6 and click OK on the alert box it opens a new browser window ... this can be confusing to users.

I imagine unchecking the box will fix this problem, regardless of browser Toungue ... but, can someone direct me to the code that creates the box ... or perhaps this has been fixed somewhere and I'm just not so great at searching it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr.R
It is by design to open it in a new window - so the page they were last viewing is not navigated away from.

If you wish to change this, open up jscripts/general.js. Find:
			settings="toolbar=yes,location=yes,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=600,height=500";
			NewWindow=window.open('private.php','pmPopup',settings);

Change it to:
window.location = 'private.php';

Chris
OK, thanks Chris.

That makes sense now that I understand the design concept and am looking at it after a night's sleep Rolleyes

But, as I'm testing this I'm now finding that IE7 is not giving the pop-up alert?!

Wait ... AHA ... I think I found the issue. I installed the "Unread PM Notification" plug-in and it seems to "over-ride" the pop-up functionality when using IE7.

If I de-activate it the pop-up returns and the new window opens ... I'll forward this to the author ...

Thanks, again.

Mr.R

PS: I was just thinking (Did you smell the smoke?) ... your "code fix" above works, but ...

Since the default user option for PM pop-up alert is off, could I not just comment out that option so the user cannot turn it on ... it seems like a less code destructive option and I really hate making major changes to the direct code.

One of the deciding factors in my choice of MyBB was the "plug-in" capability.
You can edit the usercp_options template and remove:
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="1"><input type="checkbox" class="checkbox" name="pmpopup" id="pmpopup" value="yes" {$pmpopupcheck} /></td>
<td><span class="smalltext"><label for="pmpopup">{$lang->pm_popup}</label></span></td>
</tr>

Edit: you might need to add this code where the above was removed:
<input type="hidden" name="pmpopup" id="pmpopup" value="no" />
Thanks, DennisTT;

I'll look at how that will work in our installation.

Mr.R