MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What are your Favorite Developer Tools?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It amazes me, just how many support questions can be self-answered if the people asking the questions used dev tools in the development of their mybb forums.

Anyhow, back to the question at hand, which brings me to this, FireBug was a popular developers tool for the Firefox browser, that has gone the way of the dodo bird. It is basically extinct now. Surprised as I was. Now the fox offers Mozilla Dev Tools linked GitHub accounts.

Chrome is okay.

The new dev tools for Mozilla- cheese are tasty. I like it a lot more than the generic Chrome tools,

So, what are your favorite developers tools that you use to build ur forum?
I think you think most Admins using myBB are expert or even familiar with computer tech.

I for one am not a developer, indeed I have virtually zero knowledge of IT. Our site was set up by a professional IT man who has since retired. Hence our need to ask questions.
(2017-02-11, 05:57 PM)Ryor2 Wrote: [ -> ]I think you think most Admins using myBB are expert or even familiar with computer tech.

I for one am not a developer, indeed I have virtually zero knowledge of IT. Our site was set up by a professional IT man who has since retired. Hence our need to ask questions.

That is the beauty of dev tools, I have 0 professional experience, I am a greenhorn. But, but I have learned a lot with just a little practice. If you can play a video game then you can use dev tools to learn about the inner and outer workings of mybb.
The way I read it, Firebug 2.0 is not being updated, Firebug 3.0 is.
Firebug 2.0.17 or .18 is still available for download.
https://getfirebug.com/downloads
There is a link for migrating to new dev tools.

2.0.18 is working on my FF v 51.
Extremely useful for seeing what css is being applied and where it comes from.
For me are the best dev tools the build in one of Opera/Chromium and this => http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/
(2017-02-11, 06:11 PM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-11, 05:57 PM)Ryor2 Wrote: [ -> ]I think you think most Admins using myBB are expert or even familiar with computer tech.

That is the beauty of dev tools, I have 0 professional experience, I am a greenhorn. But, but I have learned a lot with just a little practice. If you can play a video game then you can use dev tools to learn about the inner and outer workings of mybb.

I have never played a video game Michael, nor would I want to! (for me they're a waste of time).
(2017-02-12, 01:26 AM)Ryor2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-11, 06:11 PM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have never played a video game Michael, nor would I want to! (for me they're a waste of time).

Okay, put it like this then, if you can use a computer, if you can open up a can of tuna fish, if you can count to 100, if you can say the alphabet, if you can read this then you can use dev tools.
I like the Google Chrome Developer Console. The inspect element feature lets me test possible colors so I can see how they look before actually applying them to my theme.
Sublime Text has always been a personal favorite text editor wise.
Inspect Element with Chrome and PHPStorm. Once you set up your preferences on how you code, your code formats to it with extra work.
Pages: 1 2