MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I transfer my forum to another forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For reference, I would like to know how you import the data and structure of one forum to another.

I know how to export the sql.

I'm going to set up a new forum just to test this, will I have to name my database by the same name?
Database naming is established by the host. Whatever system they are using. My host provider gives me a database after I request a new one. They tell me what it is. It is empty, but it is named. I then import the sql backup. The tables and data already in the backup, so there's nothing to change when importing.

Since your new forum needs a config.php file, you either provide those details when installing the new forum for the first time then import the backup database, or you modify the new forum's config.php file with the database connection details.
I see, so it was the config file that may have stopped me from doing it last time. I thought I would have to change the table prefixes in the database.
[attachment=38420]

Why am I getting this error? I just set up another forum and tried to import the backup files from my other forum. I wanted to try and tidy up my other forum by playing around with this fresh one, in the hope I cvan get around a few problems I have having. I named the tables in thedatabase by the same prefix 'mybb_ontic', which is the same as my other forum. In Wordpress, I was able to just use the dashboard to upload the sql file and it would restore the blog. I can't get my head around how I can even restore a mybb forum if anything should happen.
You have to start the import into the desired database, not in the phpmyadmin databases overview.
I apologise for my ignorance, but I don't understand. I am logged into phpmyadmin and I clicked on the database, then I went to import to database 'astropsychology' (this is the new database name, the other is ontic_philosophy_com).

What is the desired database?

I just tried importing to mybb_onticadminlog too, still get the same problem.

Specifically I did this:

To import the database just start PHPMyAdmin as root and on the main page click the Import tab. Browse to where you saved the example database and click on the Go button. You should see a new database in the list on the left of PHPMyAdmin. It comes complete with a table and data.
Gotcha, the problem was that one.com only allows me one database, so I had to drop all the tables and then import it. Thanks for the video, very helpful.