MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Quotes, mentions, and username changes synced...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Something I've noticed is that when you quote or mention someone, and a username is changed, the quotes/mentions are not changed as well. This can lead to confusion if people don't realize a username was changed. I recommend that those are synced. Your thoughts?
(2017-02-15, 08:02 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]Something I've noticed is that when you quote or mention someone, and a username is changed, the quotes/mentions are not changed as well. This can lead to confusion if people don't realize a username was changed. I recommend that those are synced. Your thoughts?

The trouble is that you could have many posts to have to replace in one go. Larger forums this can be a problem because of having to scan for a specific username. Even just a cache for uid and username can get quite expansive.
For quotes you can use plugin from Zinga - vB Quote - it adds a hyperlink which is changed automatically on username change.

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=274

Anyway this should be added in MyBB v2.0
(2017-02-15, 08:57 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-15, 08:02 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]Something I've noticed is that when you quote or mention someone, and a username is changed, the quotes/mentions are not changed as well. This can lead to confusion if people don't realize a username was changed. I recommend that those are synced. Your thoughts?

The trouble is that you could have many posts to have to replace in one go. Larger forums this can be a problem because of having to scan for a specific username. Even just a cache for uid and username can get quite expansive.

I think a task system could be rolled out. The username update would be pushed out across the span on multiple page loads. Obviously a lock on username changed should be placed while an update is rolling out. Let's say a user has 100,000 posts on a forum (huge number I know), they might be locked out for a few hours as the task system slowly does it's job to avoid too much strain on the system.
I don't see the benefit in this overweighing the cost.
(2017-02-16, 01:27 AM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see the benefit in this overweighing the cost.

Unfortunately, neither can I. Which is why I don't allow username changes anymore.
(2017-02-16, 01:27 AM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see the benefit in this overweighing the cost.

Consistency. An alternate less resource intensive alternative idea would be to store the UID and not names in a quote. The phrases could pull the username belonging to the UID. Small query, some form of cache would likely help on bigger sites using this concept.
(2017-02-16, 03:55 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]

Consistency.

If you were truly trying to be consistent you wouldn't permit username changes.
(2017-02-16, 04:10 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-16, 03:55 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]

Consistency.

If you were truly trying to be consistent you wouldn't permit username changes.

Except you partly quoted me. I've given multiple ways that we could 'make it work'.
Solution? USe user ID instead of names (same like xenforo does - mentions, etc)
Pages: 1 2