MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: When Guest Posting Goes Bad.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I remember asking you guys what you thought of guest posting, the consensus was that it should be avoided.

Fast forward to today. So I was browsing the internet when I came across a forum that has guest posting,
and low and behold, every post was a spam post, over 35 pages! of spam posts:
http://www.paranormalforums.net/viewforum.php?f=301

Wow, without a second thought, this proves the point.
oh dear god no. I didn't even click those threads. that's one of the side effects you get with GP's. I had same experience on a zetaboards test forum -testing out themes. but ive seen other forums with GP's in place with zero spam!
(2017-02-18, 09:38 PM)Butterball Wrote: [ -> ]oh dear god no. I didn't even click those threads. that's one of the side effects you get with GP's. I had same experience on a zetaboards test forum -testing out themes. but ive seen other forums with GP's in place with zero spam!

lol, that board is out of control, I think if one has guest posting, it would take a while to get the spam under control, like LunaticOutposts who has a good example of guest posting gone good.
I keep hearing more about that lunatic out post. I'm not really interested in controversy stuff..ufo's flat earth etc. the guest who post threads and reply, some are funny..while others are head scratchers.
(2017-02-18, 09:51 PM)Butterball Wrote: [ -> ]I keep hearing more about that lunatic out post. I'm not really interested in controversy stuff..ufo's flat earth etc. the guest who post threads and reply, some are funny..while others are head scratchers.

I actually never read into the threads on L.O but I like the design, I'm not sure sure what kind of site it is, but I do admire the fact that they have a simple design with a ton of users. Flat earth lol... Dam.. and the sad thing is, some people believe in a flat earth, thats kra-z
I laugh at some of the threads that predict huge earthquake that would strike the California coast in few days..which of course sounds more like "fake" news. still, entertaining if you are bored
To be fair, it looks like the only anti-spam measure is an outdated captcha.

If they were to disallow links and images in guest posts, and upgrade to no captcha recaptcha, I suspect they would receive significantly less bot spam.
If you think 35 pages of spam is too much... search a little bit more, you will found out.

And yes, guest posting is a nono.
(2017-02-19, 09:03 AM)eNvy Wrote: [ -> ]If you think 35 pages of spam is too much... search a little bit more, you will found out.

And yes, guest posting is a nono.

(offtopic) envy...been awhile, sup you
NSFW purge and bleach both the site and my eyes
Pages: 1 2