MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Someone copied my code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello MyBB Community,
In my forum i took a free theme called Square and i made alot of changes in it,
recentley i found out that a forum using the exact code as mine forum which is 100% not look like the square theme,
I am pretty sure they are not alloud to do that, what can i do about it?
I'm not sure what your rights are in this situation. If you were the sole owner of the original theme then you could report them to their server provider but as you effectively 'forked' and modified the theme yourself I'm not certain that you have any ownership claim over it.

Perhaps someone else can clarify?
About the only thing you can do is a copyright violation notice or something. There's nothing you can do to stop people actually copying the code in the first place.
Without access to ACP or forum database it isn't possible to copy the whole theme.

Maybe he copied the CSS files and some HTML parts and adaped his own theme with it.
Thanks for replies,
is there someone i can report to about this?

BTW,
The forum who copied mine :
[Image: jljmriymmglm.png]

My Forum :
[Image: dy3goind44ym.png]

Original Square Theme :
[Image: ujyayzzwyy3m.jpg]
Quote:Hello MyBB Community,
In my forum i took a free theme called Square and i made alot of changes in it,
recentley i found out that a forum using the exact code as mine forum which is 100% not look like the square theme,
I am pretty sure they are not alloud to do that, what can i do about it?

To be honest i think your whining about someone copying your theme is ridiculous due to the fact that the original theme you took for free yourself. They just did the same thing. So what are you complaining about? 

Open-sourced is the best anyways. Imagine if this person that copied your free theme fixed some bugs in it. You could fork his to fix yours. A win-win situation. An honestly, in what way is his copying your theme, hurting yours?
Its like Matt said any custom theme you make and don't want anyone to copy you need a copyright You can obtain one of those and then it will not be a problem.. And also that is not considered a custom theme since it is configurations to the original. A custom theme is made from the bottom up... Sorry tphe1234
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Thanks for replies, i guess there's nouthing i can do about it..