MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Security Comparisons?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just curious how mybb measures up (in terms of security) to ipb/vb/phpbb.
I think IPB is the most secure and I have heard lots of hacking/cracking incidents with vb and ...with phpbb ...oh man might as well leave your door unlocked and all your valuable objects stashed near the door at the middle of the night.
IPB is the most secure so far. I do have vBulletin and I can tell you its secure, but you need to take a few extra steps so your safe.

As for phpBB, I wont give go there Wink.
Smile

How is mybb in terms of security?
-Are there any extra things I can do to make it better?
I also wouldnt rule out XMB when thinking about security. I've personally beaten two production boards with senseless and found no bugs in them, cant say the same for any other package mentioned so far in this thread.
Yeah lock the path to your Admin CP (/admin) or change the path name to the admin cp.
If your so inclined you could also use .htaccess to protect the admin/ folder by only allowing certain IPs or ranges to connect to it.
Thats one you could do it, or you can set a username and password on the /admin folder. Make it different from your forum username and password.
And how do I do all of these things?
-Sorry, my .htaccess knowledge is limited, as is my experience with putting passwords on things.
Does your server have cPanel on it? If so go to "Password Protect Directories > click on the folder that your MyBB installed under and click the word "admin", thats where the admin cp is. Put a username and password in, keep its so its hard to guess.
Pages: 1 2 3