MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Noob Question/Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am considering leaving ProBoards in favor of MyBB but I have a few questions which I can't seem to find the answer for...I am sure these have been asked a million times so I do apologize....

1) Do I need to host the forum on my own website?
2) How difficult is it to set this up?
3) Do I need my own server?
4) Can I bring all of the information from my ProBoards forum into the new one, threads, posts, users, etc?

Thank you in advance.
1. not necessary
2. easy
3. not necessary
4. not easy

if free MyBB hosting is required then see IcyBoards - FREE MyBB Hosting

ProBoards uses proprietary software and the database is not available easily to use for the conversion.
(2017-02-22, 07:34 AM)EmperorIhsahn Wrote: [ -> ]I am considering leaving ProBoards in favor of MyBB but I have a few questions which I can't seem to find the answer for...I am sure these have been asked a million times so I do apologize....

1) Do I need to host the forum on my own website?
2) How difficult is it to set this up?
3) Do I need my own server?
4) Can I bring all of the information from my ProBoards forum into the new one, threads, posts, users, etc?

Thank you in advance.

1) Preferably, but there are some exceptions such as IcyBoards which offer free hosting.
2) Considering most web hosts these days offer free one click script installers such as Softaculous, it's pretty simple. If you choose the manual route you'll need to find your database details (hostname, table prefix, username, etc) for the initial setup.
3) You will need to buy some sort of hosting. Whether it be shared hosting or above depends on your needs.
4) No idea but maybe
I would most definitely suggest using Icyboards for now until you can get a better feel for MyBB and work your way to self hosting.

I started out with Icyboards! Smile

I also believe Spork may be able to merge your proboards board to the MyBB hosting he offers, but you may need to ask first. I'm not sure, different things are supported to be merged and some are not.
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the advice.