MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum software question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

Obviously everyone in here uses myBB, but I am just curious as to what other forum software you might have used, why myBB is your preferred choice, and just general thoughts really! I am very new to this so just trying to get my head round it as much as I can.

Cheers
I've tried VBulletin but the ACP is a pain in the butt to deal with. It is also hard to work with. I've also built my own custom solutions to try and advance my skills.
I've used vBulletin, XenForo and I.P.B < all of these I have went against, not worth paying for considering there isn't much in terms of themes and also hooks to use.
I currently use zetaboards. its a free service. but they do have paid as well. the acp is very user friendly. not a whole lot of technical stuff to deal with. they have a wide assortment of themes to spiffy up your forum. inserting a theme is as easy as 1.2.3. I try out various forum software myself to get a feel of each one.
Hello,

I've used phpBB2 and phpBB3 for ten years as an administrator. I was happy with phpBB2 although it lacks features. phpBB3 is OK but I did not like the admin interface and permission system (too complicated). I had to rely on a 'technical' co-admin for all permissions settings and management.

I have just passed my phpBB3 forum, dedicated to a soaring simulation, 5 000+ users, to a guy and made the switch to MyBB. So far I really like it, especially the MyBB's general interface for administrators that is pretty easy to use and follow. The thriving community is also very pleasant.

I considered VBulletin and IP Board, but it's too expensive for me. I also had a look at Simple Machines Forum and punBB/FluxBB but either the community is not as powerful as MyBB's one or it seems that are many problems.

So I'm happy to be on MyBB Heart
I have used:
- proboards (was global mod on a pb site for 4 years.)
- InvisionFree (was an admin on an IF site for 3 years)
- Zetaboards (only briefly to basically experiment with it to see if wanted to transfer from IF to ZB.)
- Jcink (Used for 4 years for my site.)
- IPbFree (only to test out features when I was deciding whether to go with Jcink or not, now defunct)
- Rapidboards (Just to test it out, also defunct)
- Icyboards (only for a short time)

In terms of actual software... I've tried out SMF a bit, phpBB2/3, Elkarte, punBB, Vanilla and MyBB. I've never considered VB because it seemed way to expensive and I was not impressed by how they acted when they sued XF's creators (lawsuit first, check for if they actually stole code later). IPB was also kind of expensive and I didn't like the idea of having to pay for updates and support. (Same for XF and VB also.)

SMF was ok but it reminded me a lot of early version (pre-5.0) proboards and I didn't really like that. (As a friend put it... "SMF is just proboards with better makeup and a pushup bra.")
Elkarte and punBB didn't have a great mod selection and were kinda barebones. Vanilla had more mod options and was kind cool, but not enough to make me want to switch to it.
(2017-03-05, 07:08 PM)VirusZero Wrote: [ -> ]I have used:
- proboards (was global mod on a pb site for 4 years.)
- InvisionFree (was an admin on an IF site for 3 years)
- Zetaboards (only briefly to basically experiment with it to see if wanted to transfer from IF to ZB.)
- Jcink (Used for 4 years for my site.)
- IPbFree (only to test out features when I was deciding whether to go with Jcink or not, now defunct)
- Rapidboards (Just to test it out, also defunct)
- Icyboards (only for a short time)

In terms of actual software... I've tried out SMF a bit, phpBB2/3, Elkarte, punBB, Vanilla and MyBB. I've never considered VB because it seemed way to expensive and I was not impressed by how they acted when they sued XF's creators (lawsuit first, check for if they actually stole code later). IPB was also kind of expensive and I didn't like the idea of having to pay for updates and support. (Same for XF and VB also.)

SMF was ok but it reminded me a lot of early version (pre-5.0) proboards and I didn't really like that. (As a friend put it... "SMF is just proboards with better makeup and a pushup bra.")
Elkarte and punBB didn't have a great mod selection and were kinda barebones. Vanilla had more mod options and was kind cool, but not enough to make me want to switch to it.
Were you a staff on Jcink?
(2017-02-22, 02:22 PM)Finckle22 Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously everyone in here uses myBB

I do? That's news to me:

[Image: PPLiagY.png]
Everything else is to expensive I prefer mybb
Max Payne
Yeah, I was staff on Jcink for a while (offhand, I was there as staff from 2011-2014). Why do you ask?
Pages: 1 2