MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP Mail Error 553
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last weekend I migrated my site to a new server running Ubuntu 16.04, MySQLi 5.7.17, and PHP 7.0.13. Everything seems to be running fine except sending emails from within MyBB. None of the settings there changed, yet now when the system tries to send a message through something like the Contact form the following error is generated:

The mail server does not understand the RCPT TO command. Reason: 553 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Sender address rejected: not owned by user [email protected]

The weird thing is is that MyBB works in conjunction with a WordPress site that has its own Contact form and that works fine, no errors.

Does anyone know why this could be happening and how to fix it? If it was happening through WP too I would suspect something globally was configured wrong, but it's limited to just MyBB.

It should also be noted that I THINK it started around the time I moved servers because that's as far back as the logs in MyBB goes, however it could go back farther to the release of MyBB 1.8.10 for all I know.

It should be noted this only happens with the Contact form. Registration works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.