MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Filter in URLs (bug/request)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

thanks for fixing my last report lightning fast.

But now we ran into the following problem: The bad word filter system also works for URLs.

Now I'm not sure if to call that a bug or intentional. But since any additional letter lets the filter ignore the bad word, could an underscore, hyphen or slash please have the same functionality? Or make it being ignored in links altogether. That could be even done  optionally by a strictness level or something like that. Maybe add an option to ignore it in links as well.

Example
bad word filter: poop

word gets filtered:
  • Poop is bad
  • www.poop-team -> this is my problem
  • .poop
word doesn't get filtered:
  • mypoop
  • pooper
The problem is our board is multilingual and it's interesting that so many other languages use words in their domains/links, that would probably not be used in English, eg: http://www.lime-team.net/. Your board filter also puts "lime" into the link, which originally would be the abbrevation for "Athletic Sport Sponsoring" (Im not affiliated with them...just the first German hit in Google for that word).

So the filter breaks all those links in our chat and the board currently Undecided

[tested on two independent myBB 1.8.10 systems...3 with this forum Wink ]
I know this is an old thread, but this is still a valid issue.

I'm honestly not sure on the solution for this, I would like to get some views from the developers..
I think fixing this with the current parser might prove difficult, but I believe @effone made some changes recently that may help get around the problem?
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/4073

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group
While looking into the issue further; I don't agree with the second part.
Catching poop in a greedy match will consider words like nincompoop as well; which is not a bad word. Suggested add all the expected variants of the bad words to the bad word list as well, as we don't have an exception list or dictionary loaded in parser.