MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to properly restore forum to get ready for upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi so i had an old mybb forum installed via softaculus. I heard auto installed versions of mybb are not recommended and I hard to install plugins and upgrade.

Should I restore the database and install a fresh version via the mybb official site?

will I lose all my members and posts?

what do I do?

thank you very much for your help and time Smile
you can restore the database and the files (if you have them) & then upgrade

if you do not have the files then upload latest version files and connect to database
and then proceed to upgrade your forum by visiting upgrade url & following instructions

Edit: upgrading forum keeps existing data (users & posts)

* upgrading guidance => https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/
* connecting database is done through ~/inc/config.php file
* upgrading url => forumURL/install/upgrade.php
Hi I apologize moderators for making a bunch of similar questions but this time I need help reinstalling mybb again. 

I took my forum offline but took backups of it. My forum was installed via softaculus but I want to fix the files. So what I think I can do is restore my backed up database, then download the official version from here. 

But I am having trouble installing. 

So do I upload just the upload folder or the whole mybb folder?

where do I start?

thx Smile
upload contents of the upload folder - not the upload folder itself.

put database details in ~/inc/config.php file; then visit index page of the forum.
if database is connected then you should get upgrade message. proceed to upgrade script
[forumURL/install/upgrade.php]

if you had a number of plugins installed then better to restore earlier forum files,
connect the database, login to forum admin panel, put forum offline, disable all the plugins,
and upload the new version files, proceed to the upgrade script
(2017-03-14, 04:36 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]upload contents of the upload folder - not the upload folder itself.

put database details in ~/inc/config.php file; then visit index page of the forum.
if database is connected then you should get upgrade message. proceed to upgrade script
[forumURL/install/upgrade.php]

if you had a number of plugins installed then better to restore earlier forum files,
connect the database, login to forum admin panel, put forum offline, disable all the plugins,
and upload the new version files, proceed to the upgrade script

Thank you @.m but right now I don't need to upgrade I just want to resotore my old softaculus mybb BUT MAKE SURE THE FILES ARE CORRECT! in order to GET READY FOR A MIGRATION Smile

Is what you said the proper way to do things in my case?

thank you very much for your time. (btw I apologize for the extra thread thank you very much for moving it for me Smile )

-bigredclaygeorgia
well, if you want to migrate to some other forum system then you do not have to restore MyBB forum.
you would need the database & attachments folder only for migrating to some other forum system.

if you want to use MyBB then only this community can try helping you.
if you are migrating to some other forum system then you need to seek support elsewhere.
if you have same version with softaculous only upload files and the folders .m. said

Then restore your backup and set the config.php data with your db details.

done !!!

if lesser version need to run update...