MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Convert SMF 2.x to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to convert my SMF forum to MyBB, as I feel MyBB is more suited to the RP style. However I'm extremely nervous about losing content or screwing up as I've never done something like converting a forum and I'm terrified of losing accounts and/or posts.

I am mostly interested in converting the posts and users to MyBB; my forum is over 5 years old and clunky with addons and other junk. If possible, am I able to just take the posts and users and duplicate them to a MyBB without removing the old forum or is that unnecessarily messy?

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Thistle
(2017-03-14, 09:49 PM)ThistleProse Wrote: [ -> ]I want to convert my SMF forum to MyBB, as I feel MyBB is more suited to the RP style. However I'm extremely nervous about losing content or screwing up as I've never done something like converting a forum and I'm terrified of losing accounts and/or posts.

I am mostly interested in converting the posts and users to MyBB; my forum is over 5 years old and clunky with addons and other junk. If possible, am I able to just take the posts and users and duplicate them to a MyBB without removing the old forum or is that unnecessarily messy?

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Thistle

Hi,

The best approach is to backup your current database and perform a test merge on your local computer rather than the server running your current site.

You can easily create a local server using software such as XAMPP or MAMP.
Unfortunately I'm a bit of a computer noob, and I have no idea what you mean when you mention running it locally vs server. Sorry.

I'm in the process of downloading a copy of my site's database. Push comes to shove, that can be used to put everything back to how it is if something goes wrong?

I just want to say that the merge session was extremely easy to follow and I successfully n00bed my way through it and moved my forum to MyBB.

Big Grin
Congratulations!
I am not sure how everything worked out for you, but I tested the merge system from SMF 2.0 to MyBB recently and it was flawless. It literally could not be easier. The migration tool makes it really easy. Hope all works out for you!
^ good to know that Smile