MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What exactly can a moderator do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've searched around but have not been able to find the answer.

When I make someone a mod in a particular forum, what exactly can they do?

Is there documentation explaining moderator permissions?

Thanks!
Admin CP>Users & Groups>Groups>Moderator, you can switch in between each tab to set what a moderator can do.
Thank you for the reply. Smile Much appreciated. I will do that.

Is there a comprehensive MyBB User Manual somewhere or is it mostly just searching around if you are curious about some feature?

I'd like a manual that I could curl up with by the fireplace for a relaxing evening read. Smile
You are being lazy right now...
I don't think there is something like that, but try searching on google.
(2017-03-14, 11:15 PM)grepper Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the reply. Smile Much appreciated. I will do that.

Is there a comprehensive MyBB User Manual somewhere or is it mostly just searching around if you are curious about some feature?

I'd like a manual that I could curl up with by the fireplace for a relaxing evening read. Smile

You could read the documentation. It doesn't cover every little detail but you can learn from it.

https://docs.mybb.com/
I'm really not trying to be lazy, I just want to get a better understanding and some of the terminology is not clear.  For instance, the only moderation options I see are:

Moderation Options
Moderate new posts?
Moderate new threads?
Moderate new attachments?
Moderate posts after they've been edited?

Does this mean Moderate Other User's Posts?

"Moderate posts after they've been edited?"  I don't know exactly that that means.  If that is not checked, they if the other user edits their own post the moderator can no longer edit it?

If those are talking about the moderator moderating other users posts, I would have thought I'd see something more like:

Delete other user's posts?
Edit other user's posts?
Move other user's posts?
Hide other users posts?
Ban users?
Delete users?

To simply say "Moderate New Posts", well that pretty broad.  If that is checked, does that mean a moderator has the same permissions and can do everything that an admin can?

This is the type of thing that I find difficult to understand by just doing hours of searching around. Smile

I would think that I'm not the first to ask these questions.

If I'm asking stupid questions, please forgive me.  I'm new to MyBB and just trying to figure stuff out, but I'm finding the process rather slow and frustrating.

Thanks!
in general, as you said, moderator privileges are
Quote:Delete other users posts
Edit other users posts
Move other users posts
Hide other users posts
Ban users
Delete users (purge spammer)

Moderation Options are different.
they are not privileges rather the restrictions belonging to that group.
Thanks for the reply!

Please excuse me if I am appearing somewhat brain dead.  I sure fell that way! Rolleyes  

Am I understanding this correctly?  If I add someone to the Moderators group then they can:
Delete other users posts
Edit other users posts
Move other users posts
Hide other users posts
Ban users
Delete users (purge spammer)

If I then, Users & Groups>Groups>Manage User Groups>Moderators>Options>Edit Group>Forums & Posts

There is:
Moderation Options
Moderate new posts?
Moderate new threads?
Moderate new attachments?
Moderate posts after they've been edited?

None of these are checked.  Does that mean that even though it's the Moderators group unless these are checked a moderator cannot moderate new posts for example?

So, If Moderate New Threads is checked and Moderate New Posts is not checked, the moderator could only moderate replies to a thread but not the original thread?

Or if Moderate Posts is checked but Moderate posts after they've been edited is not checked, as soon as a user edits a post (reply) the moderator could no longer moderate the thread/post?
Is it just me or is this rather confusing? Huh

I really appreciate your assistance here!  I know this is a pretty involved question, and it's making me feel like a complete idiot! Sad
Moderation Options are restrictions on that user group.

Moderate new posts --> checked --> that group users posts are kept in moderation - unapproved state
Moderate new threads --> checked --> that group users threads are kept in moderation - unapproved state
Moderate new attachments --> checked --> attachments posted by that group are kept on moderation - unapproved state
Moderate posts after they've been edited --> checked --> edited posts by that group are kept on moderation - unapproved state

unapproved posts, threads, attachments need approval by privileged Staff

so basically none of those moderation options should be selected for the Staff.
they are to be used for the restricted user groups (eg. fresh users)
Oh!  OK. Thanks! Geeze.  

I didn't get that because I was looking for the ability to restrict some moderator privileges.  A more granular setting what a mod can do.

So one final question:

In other words..., for example..., can I set moderator privileges so that a moderator can do everything but delete a user?  Or, is that, a moderator is a moderator, and that is as granular as the definition of what a moderator can (do/not do) is?
Pages: 1 2