MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Are ads really worth ruining the look of a website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ads ruin the look and appeal of websites and most websites have ads, even sites that don't generate a lot of traffic. People are suckers putting ad sense on their site, unless of course they have a million members.
ads are everywhere..like those loud and bothersome commercials on the tv. thank god for adblock ultamite and adguard. they try to capture your attention with flashing ads..i encountered something similair when i was on tinypic, that was when i didnt have adblockers. some forums iam on have ads to generate some form of revenue
I don't see ads anywhere thanks to: uBlock Origin and Ghostery.

Added benefit of uBlock Origin is you can find and turn off those silly "We notice you're blocking ads" messages.

Smile
What really grinds my gears is when I'm using an adblocker and a page will say you have to disable it to view content. I consider that a sign of a greedy website.
(2017-03-18, 06:28 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]What really grinds my gears is when I'm using an adblocker and a page will say you have to disable it to view content. I consider that a sign of a greedy website.

same here. certain websites wont let me read an article or use their services unless i disable adblocker. greedy i fully agree. but hey, its their website..either abide by it or not. i wanted to complain on numerous occasions
(2017-03-18, 06:28 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]What really grinds my gears is when I'm using an adblocker and a page will say you have to disable it to view content. I consider that a sign of a greedy website.

Same here, i really don't like those pages when they enforce the users to disable else go somewhere else.
Well, they have to survive somehow. Whether or not it's a good business model, it's not the question right now. But if their only way to keep online is by showing ads, I don't see the problem. I can always go to another website, I have that choice.

I completely disagree with you guys on this subject, I believe that it's greedy on my part if I want to see articles for free and not support the writers and the website in any way... Only on the internet people have this attitude, it gave us this notion that everything can be accessed, and that we are entitled to access, for free. We still do, even by seeing ads we can just ignore them if we are not interested. Most people's heads already filter the ads by themselves and read only what's important.
I'm fine with websites having some ads. But sometimes ads are just annoying and distracting from actual content. Who thought huge animated ads (with sound) were a good idea?
All of my boards which I maintain are ads free. Ads are really annoying. Moreover a lot of users use AdBlock including me to make browsing faster Wink
So, in your opinions, as I was stating, is it worth putting ads on a site for a few measly dollars.? Heck, I would pay $100 just to keep ads off my site (well, maybe not 100 dollars but you get the point)
Pages: 1 2