MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setup 2 forums then upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm considering upgrading my forum to 1.8.10 from 1.8.6.

Yes, I've read the installation guide which to my very untrained skill is a clear and simple recipe for disaster.  The process is not easy.

Now what I have in mind as a possibility is this (tell me if this can be done)-

Backup my existing forum using the ACP Backup tool.

Leave the existing forum operational.

Create a second forum using the latest greatest myBB version.

Install the existing forum's database to the second forum to see if it works and looks the way I want it to look (sounds like I know what I'm doing....doesn't it?)

Once I get all of the bugs out of the second forum and get it configured the way I want it to look merely delete the existing forum and rename the second forum's folder "Forum" (just like the existing forum's folder is name now).

Keep in mind- I'm no techy and I'm pretty darn old.

What do you think?
1. put your old forum offline. take its database backup.
2. create a folder named newforum at your MyBB files server & upload the MyBB files of latest version.
3. create a new database at your database manager [eg. phpMyAdmin], add all privileges to the existing database user.
4. create a config.php file at ~/newforum/inc/ folder
5. copy contents of existing forum's config.php file to new forum's config.php file
6. change database name in the new config.php file - put the name of the newly created database
$config['database']['database'] = 'new_database_name';
7. copy ~/inc/settings.php file (from existing forum) to ~/newforum/inc/ folder
8. edit ~/newforum/inc/settings.php file to change board url, cookie settings [see faq: login]
board url => url of newforum folder (without slash at the end)
cookie path => /newforum/ (name of your new forum folder with / at the beginning & at the end)
9. visit ~/newforum/install/upgrade.php on your browser & follow instructions on screen

*. Note: do not delete contents of existing forum.
avatars, plugins files, attachments .. etc need moving from existing forum to the new forum

if it is confusing, you may hire someone experienced to upgrade your forum
You could simply put your forum offline, backup your files and database, upload the latest version of MyBB (overwriting the old files), and then run the upgrade script. That's much easier than installing a second copy of MyBB. Because attachments, avatars, plugins, and other files exist, the database isn't the only thing which needs to be retained after the upgrade.

Worst case scenario is you screw up -- but that's what backups are for. No worries there.

Your forum will still be offline, and you'll have the chance to make sure everything is golden before you put it back online.
(2017-03-24, 07:16 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]You could simply put your forum offline, backup your files and database, upload the latest version of MyBB (overwriting the old files), and then run the upgrade script. That's much easier than installing a second copy of MyBB. Because attachments, avatars, plugins, and other files exist, the database isn't the only thing which needs to be retained after the upgrade.

Worst case scenario is you screw up -- but that's what backups are for. No worries there.

Your forum will still be offline, and you'll have the chance to make sure everything is golden before you put it back online.

Thank you, both, for the replies. 

Nathan, I've read the upgrade instructions and there's more to it than "You could simply put your forum offline"....there's a catch to that too- you have to change the .htaccess file in some way which after I looked at the procedure thought- this is ridiculous, if we can send man to the moon and bring him back there's got to be an easier way than this.

Here's an idea- use Filezilla to backup the entire Forum folder and its contents and save it my harddrive.

Then, attempt to upgrade to the latest version of myBB.

After the upgrade process is done, let's say I successfully wreck my forum to the extent some dreaded "error 404 not found" (or similar) stuff appears.  To fix it, all I have to do is copy back over the old Forum folder structure back to my website directory (where it is now) and all will be back to normal?

I'm trying to work with a "worst case scenario".

What do you think?
(2017-03-24, 11:53 AM)PDA1 Wrote: [ -> ]Nathan, I've read the upgrade instructions and there's more to it than "You could simply put your forum offline"....there's a catch to that too- you have to change the .htaccess file in some way which after I looked at the procedure thought- this is ridiculous, if we can send man to the moon and bring him back there's got to be an easier way than this.

MyBB has a setting which allows you to put your board offline without needing to modify any files. Only administrators will be able to access the forum during that time. That's generally good enough for a minor upgrade. However, the change to the .htaccess file is relatively easy to make, and there's zero risk attempting to edit it.

(2017-03-24, 11:53 AM)PDA1 Wrote: [ -> ]Here's an idea- use Filezilla to backup the entire Forum folder and its contents and save it my harddrive.

That's an acceptable way of backing up your files for this. Just don't forget about the database, of course.

(2017-03-24, 11:53 AM)PDA1 Wrote: [ -> ]Then, attempt to upgrade to the latest version of myBB.

After the upgrade process is done, let's say I successfully wreck my forum to the extent some dreaded "error 404 not found" (or similar) stuff appears.  To fix it, all I have to do is copy back over the old Forum folder structure back to my website directory (where it is now) and all will be back to normal?

Correct. Personally I'd recommend taking *another* backup of the "tainted" installation, just in case. Then you can delete the forum files and restore the original backup. This will ensure you have a cleanly restored backup. Additionally you'd need to restore the database.

Providing you have a backup of your files and database just before the upgrade, everything will be fine.

I highly recommend you keep up to date with MyBB releases. It's much easier to upgrade (only needing to upload the changed files instead of the full MyBB package), and it helps keep your forum secure.
Ok....I'm getting somewhere.

Nathan, where would I find the database files?
(2017-03-24, 01:07 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ see Backups & Database Backup

This is crazy!

The Database Backup link stuff is INSANELY difficult and confusing (yeah, yeah, I know....it's easy)

Is the Backup link mentioned above which uses the ACP sufficient for a backup if you "select all"?

There's got to be an easier way.  You know- make a backup of your old forum database.  Upgrade to the latest myBB version.  Restore your old database.  Fix the plugins that don't work anymore.  Simple.

Thanks...I'm jumping out of the window....if I could only find a ladder high enough to reach the basement window.
(2017-03-24, 02:09 PM)PDA1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the Backup link mentioned above which uses the ACP sufficient for a backup if you "select all"?

Yes. From the ACP you can backup your database and download a copy.
Thanks Nathan.

Say, does that database file have all of the appearance configuration files/settings telling myBB what to look like?
Pages: 1 2