MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: new members not receiving email verification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My new board went live on Thursday and had an initial hit of a couple of hundred sign-ups, so was a busy couple of days.

I had feedback that people weren't getting the email verifications (set to email plus admin verification), yet I know that the board itself is sending out emails fine as notifications of sign-ups etc are all coming into the external admin POP3 account plus my own gmail one.

I also suspect but have yet to prove that the email a user function doesn't work either.

Where do I need to start looking?
You should check with your host and it might be possible that you will have to add mx-records in your DNS.
Some email providers need that to receive email.
(2017-03-25, 12:24 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]You should check with your host and it might be possible that you will have to add mx-records in your DNS.
Some email providers need that to receive email.

I don't know enough (yet!) about this to disagree with you, and I'll check regardless, but why would that explain why certain emails are coming out and not others?  If it was MX records then surely the site hosting wouldn't see a difference between admin@pop3  and fred@pop3??

If I'm logging in as fred, and request a forgotten password change, then I get that email from the site sent to fred@whatever.  But if I register as fred the site isn't sending me a verification email to the same address.

I'm feeling more like it's either an option I haven't enabled somewhere (can't find it if so) or just a bug (but then it surely would affect everyone).
your forum Wrote:Your registration must be activated by an administrator. Until then, you may not be able to post on these forums.
your forum Wrote:You cannot resend your account activation email as all registrations must be approved by an Administrator.
so it looks like now you are using admin activation method only

this related reply might be helpful
I've changed it to admin activation for now as I just got fed up of people asking where there email was!

I've just solved the problem my switching to SMTP - given the server it's own dedicated smtp account on the host server and all seems to be working fine now. Clearly, the issue must be within the PHP mail engine.