MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Automatically Subscribe Users to All Threads - Need Email Notification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before I get flamed right back off this forum let me explain the situation. 

I'm the current President/Listserv Admin for a small off road club. Our bylaws literally limit membership to 50 members. Historically we've communicated about upcoming trail rides, part sales, meeting logistics, etc via a listserv. That worked well when we had <15 members. However we now are growing and the email traffic has gotten a little much. I want to replace our listserv with a forum, but need the forum to email all users for certain sections of the forum since I don't want to be counting on people checking this regularly to find posts. Most importantly when a trail ride/event is posted. We want all members to get a notification via email that an event has been created, but give them the ability to unsubscribe to any thread (a trip they know they can't/wont be attending).

So to sum up, we're trying to replace a listserv with a forum, they're used to getting email updates, and frankly wont check a forum regularly to see what is posted.

Also, I'd like to be able to specifically do the following:
  1. Automatically subscribe all users to get email notifications for threads started in only certain sections of the forum (ie: Forced auto subscribe in the "Trail rides" section but not the "Parts for sale" section for instance)
  2. Deny users the ability to set the default for those admin mandated auto-subscribe sections to anything but subscribed. Giving them the option of daily vs immediate emails would be fine though.
  3. Allow users to unsubscribe from any specific thread.
  4. Ideally, allow users to control their email notifications/subscriptions for any sections of the forum other than those the admin wants everyone to be subscribed to.
I have looked around trying to find a solution to this. Most promising was this thread. But I don't think that does quite what I want, and I would clearly not do step 3 since I want people to be able to unsubscribe per thread.

I also found these two threads (here and here) but they also don't appear to be quite what I'm looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi,

This would require a plugin to get the subscription system to work as you describe it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any existing plugins to achieve what you want, so you'd need to get one built as a custom job. As such, I've moving this to the plugin requests forum.

PS: It's likely the majority of the 99 views were by robots, as we get a lot of them on this forum. People probably weren't ignoring you, just not looking at the general Discussion forum much Smile