MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: archive old database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We started using MYBB with a new database, however we have a database of 10 years of posts. We had trouble merging it initially and just said find it is worth starting anew. 

Is there a way to archive this old database. Not to merge into our current database, just to make it public and viewable. The last thing i would want is to have problems with the current database. I dont want to merge it in at any way. 

I was thinking of making a separate page from the forums, and just publicizing the database somehow. We only want it archived. 

Anyone have ideas?
You could always install another copy of mybb to a folder, and connect the old database with a fresh install. Turn off posting and registration. That way you would still have access to the full forum, but there wouldn't be a merge into the current DB.
that is an interesting idea. thank you.

is there any problem with running two different instances of MyBB on the same server?
(2017-04-12, 08:00 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]that is an interesting idea. thank you.

is there any problem with running two different instances of MyBB on the same server?

Nope. I would recommend you use a subdomain if possible, but I haven't ever had issues, at one point I was running 3 separate instances in different folders.
I just thought of another possible problem. The database was created from phpbb from 2003-2012. Is mybb structure the same as phpbb? We switched to mybb after obviously.
^ MyBB database structure is not same as phpBB.
if you had converted phpBB to MyBB then you do not need phpBB tables in the database.
We created a whole new database from scratch. The database that i am trying to archive is completely phpbb database. Im not sure how to convert it?

Which would be the easiest? 
  • Convert the phpbb database to mybb and install another instance of mybb
  • Install an instance of phpbb for archiving purposes for the database to connect to and view
  • Scrape the database and make a series of subpages in mybb forum to view
^ perhaps you can use above listed second option and eventually turn to 3rd option !
(if you remember the phpBB version which you have used)
Depends on what you want to give your users. It will be easier just to use an installation of phpBB with the existing DB. But that too could give some problems with respect to which version of phpBB you are planning to use.

You can also get leverage from Google on old posts if you do proper verification and do 301 redirects from the old URL>
I dont care if its in a forum format. It doesnt need to look pretty, just readable and able to somewhat navigate it. And i have no idea what the phpbb version was at the time of getting this db

Also this db is not on the old site anymore...so there is nothing to link to. The db i have is from 2003 to 2012. The site started a new db in 2013 to 2016
Pages: 1 2