MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remove Bots?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay ive searched my ACP and ive search the forums how can I remove bots from viewing my forums? IS it good or a bad thing?
You can disallow bots from looking at your forums all together, but if you do this they will not index your site (Google/Yahoo/MSN/etc will not contain your forums in searches). Personally, I would want them to be indexed.
Have a look at MyBB's robots.txt file, it's a good way of stopping them from eating up all your bandwidth on pages they don't need to access.

Just upload the robots.txt file to your forum's directory like it's done here and most Search Engines will obey it. Smile
It's good if you want your forum to appear on the google search results. If you don't want your forums to be crawled by search bots, look at this robots.txt: http://community.mybboard.net/robots.txt change it accordingly, and use it at your own forums. Also disable showthread.php access and such if you don't want them to view threads.
Oh, okay ill keep it then, cause I do want to be in Google Big Grin