MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to control spam registrations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

latterly I have noticed an increase of spam registrations. About 1-2 a day. Not huge, but still annoying.
It has all started, I think, when I have done away with the security questions as there must be a bug somewhere in that plugin as SOMEĀ "honest" subscribers couldn't register (I think it depends on the support they use)

I have added the Google reCAPTCHA, but it hasn't helped all that much.

I wanted to add the "click if you are a human" box, like the one you have here, but couldn't find it.

Any ideas on how to improve the protection against spam registrations? I wouldn't want to do anything too drasticĀ as I am awaiting MyBB2.0 (assuming it will ever be released Big Grin ), but I am open to new ideas.

Thanks (and Happy Easter Wink )
exactly which version of MyBB you are using ?

for human verification, you have to select NoCaptcha ReCaptcha for the registration captcha setting
1.8.3 (I am getting lazy... but updating is such a drag Wink )

Thanks, I'll give that NoCaptcha ReCaptcha a whirl. It wasn't that clear from the blurb that this is what I needed to do.

No, I am not sure I understand...
What I see in the drop down menu is:

NoCAPTCHA
MyBB default CAPTCHA
reCAPTCHA
Are you a Human

(the last option require extra registration onto a different site).
At this moment I am on reCAPTCHA.
^ oh! NoCaptcha ReCaptcha method was added in MyBB 1.8.4

better to upgrade your forum to the latest available version as there have been many security fixes
Gotcha!!!
OK, will try that Wink
2 spam a day isnt too bad.
Indeed not, but I had zero for a long time Wink
Spam is going to get through at some point. Sometimes more sometimes less
I have security questions and captcha disabled, but Stop Forum Spam plugin is working 100%.
@Arka , are you using a plugin for the registration security questions ? it is a internal feature in MyBB 1.8.x
Pages: 1 2