MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How can I make MyBB use same login credentials as my TNG (genealogy) website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not a programmer and have learned just enough about websites and HTML in the last 2 weeks to be dangerous.
So, at the risk of messing up my family's new TNG-powered genealogy website and our new MyBB forum, my users at our new family site have already been complaining about having to register twice, once at our family's genealogy website (a private site that uses TNG site building software [ Version 11.1 ]- see www.tngsitebuilding.com) and then again in the MyBB forum that I have set up for this family website.

I use simplyhosting.com - and they made it easy for a novice like me to install MyBB (Version 1.8.11) by providing a button to click on that automatically installed MyBB for me on our TNG-powered family website. But we have to access this MyBB forum completely separately as far as logging in goes and creating user accounts.

Right now, I have simply plugged in a link to our MyBB forum's location on the simplyhosting.com server into a place in the TNG website configuration settings for just such non-TNG programs or websites that one of our users might need to navigate to.

So, a link to our MyBB forum now shows up on our TNG website's HOME PAGE.

But, I am at a loss as to how to fix it so MyBB can somehow know the USERNAME and PASSWORD of the user that is navigating from our TNG site's HOME PAGE to our MyBB forum - and then log them in to our MyBB forum (accepting them as a valid user in our MyBB forum).

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Del K.
You will probably have to ask for a developer to make that for you as a plugin, but don't expect it to be cheap.
(2017-04-18, 07:03 AM)Nemus Wrote: [ -> ]You will probably have to ask for a developer to make that for you as a plugin, but don't expect it to be cheap.

This. Probably won't be cheap to buy or easy to make because this plugin has to be custom made specifically for your site and its TNG database. I have no idea how TNG builds sites and I have no idea what its database structure looks like, so that's already a chunk of time devoted to simply figuring out how the other software works . There's a ton of other possibilities for what would need to be done for this, but those are some of the first generic problems off the top of my head without too many details.

If you are interested in paying/have more questions about the process feel free to reply in here or shoot me a PM.