MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: First update easy question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I am updating for the fist time I have read through the instructions and just want a little clarification. I am updating from 1.8.10 to 1.8.11 and therefore would assume I will use changed file version. The post announcement does state script is required so I move on to step 1 of that section of the instructions which says open your browser etc.

I assume I still need to upload the install directory although this is not stated at this point in the steps. My question is this, do I need to upload the other files and folders or just the install folder. It seems strange to upload and overwrite the others such as admin inc etc as they are smaller than the ones they will be overwriting.

Also should the url read 'yoursite/install' or 'yoursite/install/update.php' as I have seen on another post?

I know these questions may seem obvious to most but is a bit daunting first time around.

Many thanks
changed files pack also consists of install folder & its related files
All contents of changed files pack should be uploaded (by overwriting existing files)

some of files can be of smaller size than the existing files

forumURL/install/update.php can be directly used to update the forum.
I will assume I should revert any security measures such as admin directory name prior to updating.

Thanks for the advice.
^ yes, you can rename custom named admin folder back to admin and upgrade your forum AND change back to your custom name
This is strange I will need to do more experimentation. I remove all the security measures and follow everything correctly as far as I can tell. 

Then When I use the site url/install/upgrade.php I get 'This page isn't working.unable to handel this request. HTTP ERROR 500

So I then just attempt to get to the site url without /install/upgarde.php no change cant get to the site. So I then remove all IP filtering preventing any sort of access. Result no change still cant access the site.

Overwriting files and folders one by one has no effect until I put back the original inc folder. Once this is done connectivity is established.

I know you said overwrite all the files supplied, and I appreciate your help but it just seems strange to me that the upgrade inc file contains 8 files & 3 directories 380,069 bytes but the directory its supposed to replace contains 51 files 8 directories 1,011,589 bytes (plugins, tasks, index, php files etc

Looks like I will have a lot of experimentation to do to find out what exactly is causing the issue. Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated just in case I am doing something really stupid?
basically cause for error 500 should be traced through recent entries of server error log (if it exists at web host panel)

if your forum is eligible for support from this community,
you may PM me temporary access to files (FTP) to check what went wrong
(2017-04-22, 02:29 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]basically cause for error 500 should be traced through recent entries of server error log (if it exists at web host panel)

if your forum is eligible for support from this community,
you may PM me temporary access to files (FTP) to check what went wrong

.m.

Hi, I have managed to solve this but thanks for your help.
I dont know what file I was using previously it came from the official site but was way too small. I did download the main upgrade folder and when looked at that it had an update.php file within it which had far more files so I used that.

It still caused the same issue though as I lost connectivity once the INC directory was uploaded. Turned out that the config.php file admin pin code which was empty had 1 x speech mark rather than 2 x apostrophe 

All upgraded now, until the next one.

All the best.