MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Selfhosted myBB issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using:
CentOS 5 (2.6.18-8.1.8.el5)
mysql 14.12 Distro 5.0.22 (installed with Cent) (have tried 5.0.45 community too)
php 5.1.6
Apache 2.2.3-7.el5.centos.i386
myBB 1.2.9 (have tried 1.2.8 too)
External access on port 443 only (shouldn't be a problem)
Everything is hosted on one server, pretty standard stuff.

I have configured and ran both snort and ntop on previous installs on this machine and setup, but for some reason, I cannot seem to get myBB up and running. When I get to the 'Table Creation' page, it says:
"Connection to the database server and table you specified was successful.
Database Engine: MySQL Improved 5.0.22
The MyBB database tables will now be created."

But nothing happens. I have verified that mysql is running and connections can be made. I have tried running the install locally and remotely, and I have even rebuilt the server in hopes of getting this going. Is there a doc pertaining to the setup of mysql from scratch for myBB (I really think there is an issue in that segment)? I have scoured the forums and docs, but I haven't seen an answer! Please help and thanks in advance!
Do any other PHP/MySQL applications work on your server? (Such as phpMyAdmin, Wordpress, phpBB, etc?)
Yes. Snort has some pretty specific mySQL setup instructions, but it has a script you manually run that builds the database and tables. It runs without any errors.
Are you sure the username/password you are providing are actually ones that have access to CREATE TABLE? I'd try a manual CREATE TABLE on the MySQL username you were attempting to run MyBB on.

Another method to find out where the problem is by SSH-ing into your server; type in:
watch -n 1 'mysqladmin processlist'
What that will do is update every second the queries running on the server; run the install script and see if there is any movement at the processlist; if there is none; problem might not be MySQL..

You could also create a .htaccess file and type the following (if you're running PHP as a module):
php_value display_errors on
php_value error_reporting 2047
What that does is enable error reporting and set it to show all the errors; that might help you on debugging the problem.
Okay. It made me cringe, but I changed the mySQL login permissions from "CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE" to "ALL".
It sailed through the rest of the install fine once I did that. I thought it would only need to create tables since I had to create the database manually. Go figure. Now it is documented that this change may fix the dreaded blank page.

thanks guys!
direfrog Wrote:Okay. It made me cringe, but I changed the mySQL login permissions from "CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE" to "ALL".
It sailed through the rest of the install fine once I did that. I thought it would only need to create tables since I had to create the database manually. Go figure. Now it is documented that this change may fix the dreaded blank page.

thanks guys!

There's other queries that MyBB needs to run such as REPLACE, DROP, ALTER, which weren't in your permissions, which is also probably why you were getting errors