MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: storing website backups on flashdrive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am using a 64 gig flashdrive. i have a full site backup on it. if something happens and I need to restore. would the backup on the flashdrive work?
of course, it should be sufficient to restore entire forum. however you may have to take
the backup everyday and frequent overwriting on flash drive could decrease its lifespan !

as suggested earlier, daily database backup should be sufficient.

see also this daily database backup method
You're storing the credentials of all your members on a USB? I hope it's encrypted -- If someone manages to get their hands on it (e.g. it's stolen or lost), you've just given someone all their email addresses and passwords (albeit hashed).

I'd recommend encrypting the backup, or storing the backup offline on an encrypted device (much easier).
(2017-05-12, 07:02 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]of course, it should be sufficient to restore entire forum. however you may have to take
the backup everyday and frequent overwriting on flash drive could decrease its lifespan !

as suggested earlier, daily database backup should be sufficient.

see also this daily database backup method

I do backups from the forum server to my PC using rsync (about one hour after a DB backup has been performed on the server). Only the new stuff (DB backup + new attachments) is copied.

The database backup doesn't contain any attachments, so its not enough.
USB drives has a higher fail rate than other storage devices. If you intend to store it for long or use it frequently, I do not recommend it as a safe place for storing files for a long time.