MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: guests registering but not showing up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
this may just be bots/potential spam but i post regularly and guests are registering. usually they have proxy servers or are corporate ips. resgistration works on my end. But would someone mind registering at http://thescarabfamily.com i just want to double check to see if the registration works and is not broken for ips out of my range.
thank you very much for your time.
Done.
thank you very much for your time. i found your name registered. however, i noticed that when i test register with a proxy it associates it with spam. why is that? also what's wierd is almost everyday it seems that new ips are registering but not showing up in the new members. why? bots? thank you for testing for me @Diamante
The IP of many people is dynamic. An account can have several different ips. The important thing Mybb saves in its database.
oh so is that why proxis won't work?
What are your Stop Forum Spam settings like?

ACP -> Configuration -> Settings -> Stop Forum Spam
(2017-05-26, 10:28 PM)18wheels Wrote: [ -> ]oh so is that why proxis won't work?

It is difficult to block an account by IP. Due to dynamic IP.

What you can do so that the same user does not create multiple accounts in your forum is to register by email and administrator activation.

If by chance you ban a troll and he comes back with another account, he will have to make a new valid email.

And on activation you can compare the saved IPs to see if it is the same user.

If it is, it's only you not to activate and banish again.
(2017-05-26, 10:32 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your Stop Forum Spam settings like?

most settings are set to no except check emails and username against stopforumspam and the spam wieghting is set to 50 (default) i just wonder if a few false positives are happening.

(2017-05-26, 10:32 PM)Diamante Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-26, 10:28 PM)18wheels Wrote: [ -> ]oh so is that why proxis won't work?

What you can do so that the same user does not create multiple accounts in your forum is to register by email and administrator activation.

If by chance you ban a troll and he comes back with another account, he will have to make a new valid email.

im not trying to ban anyone its just strange is taht in the whos online i see ips registering but their registrations never go thorugh
(2017-05-26, 10:39 PM)18wheels Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-26, 10:32 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your Stop Forum Spam settings like?

most settings are set to no except check emails and username against stopforumspam and the spam wieghting is set to 50 (default) i just wonder if a few false positives are happening.

(2017-05-26, 10:32 PM)Diamante Wrote: [ -> ]

im not trying to ban anyone its just strange is taht in the whos online i see ips registering but their registrations never go thorugh

No that is something else, those are just IPs hitting the login and register links, in most cases if you look up those IPs on the stop forum spam site they are toxic IPs.

Have you noticed the added feature of 1.8.12, the button to lookup an IP in the stop forum spam database. You can see it from whosonline, by clicking lookup.
i searched the registering ips while some are spam sources some are not. how come the ones that are not spam do not get through with registation?
Pages: 1 2