MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to show some sort of image of a MyBB thread on MediaWiki?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't like the options for comments on WordPress or MediaWiki; I have always favored using a forum (MyBB) for discussion. I am making a site where I would like to have in-depth wiki articles, with a link to a MyBB thread dedicated to each article, serving as comments for it. So I would like to be able to show some sort of summary or image of the dedicated thread at the bottom of each wiki page. 

Is there some way to show the thread, on the wiki? Some way to package it, in however simple a way, so that if a user clicks on that image, they are brought to the forum thread, and can continue from there? Something more than just a link to the thread. A simple link is very easy, but it wouldn't show that there is any discussion.

I hope this is making sense.

Anyone know a way to do this?

Thanks if you can help!
I would just take a screenshot of the thread and use it on the wiki. It'll be a manual human effort (automation might be possible!) but it's my best suggestion.
(2017-05-27, 08:11 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]I would just take a screenshot of the thread and use it on the wiki. It'll be a manual human effort (automation might be possible!) but it's my best suggestion.

Thanks, Lunorian. Hmm ... it is certainly a possibility, but over time I hope to have many dozens of articles, so I wouldn't want to have to keep checking whether the screencap is up to date for each one... Of course, it assumes anyone will ever write forum-message "comments" on anything on my wiki, lol

Alternately, is there at least a way to show how many messages are in a thread? In other words, run some little script on the wiki, that either runs a little script on MyBB (or maybe can directly interrogate it) to a a number, the number of messages? If something like is possible, all I would have to do is hardwire it once on the wiki, then it would update itself with the current count. It could be something run each time the wiki page is viewed, or could be some independent script(s) that ran once a night or whatever for the whole wiki.

I realize you're a MyBB programmer, and may not know MediaWiki well. So perhaps this boils down to whether you know a way on the MyBB side for it to hand off a count of the number of messages in a particular thread.

I'm just trying to think outside the box for a simple way to still let users know there are "comments" over in the forum thread dedicated to each wiki page.

For the record, I see that you do MyBB work for hire. I will keep this in mind because I may need someone from time to time. My hands are pretty full.

Thanks again!
It would be much easier with an iframe element:
<iframe src="https://www.google.com" width=100px height=200px> </iframe> 
If you want the size to be the same as your forum displays it remove the height and width, if you need the ability to scroll in your iframe add 'scroll=true' after the size tags. As far as clicking it you would need to have that contained with another element, either JS, or more HTML to redirect on click, that is something you would need to decide on based on your needs and preference.
(2017-05-28, 03:10 AM)R34P3R Wrote: [ -> ]It would be much easier with an iframe element:
If you want the size to be the same as your forum displays it remove the height and width, if you need the ability to scroll in your iframe add 'scroll=true' after the size tags. As far as clicking it you would need to have that contained with another element, either JS, or more HTML to redirect on click, that is something you would need to decide on based on your needs and preference.

Good idea if they domain doesn't block iframes with HTTP Headers.

(2017-05-28, 01:09 AM)RedKnight Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-27, 08:11 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]I would just take a screenshot of the thread and use it on the wiki. It'll be a manual human effort (automation might be possible!) but it's my best suggestion.

Thanks, Lunorian. Hmm ... it is certainly a possibility, but over time I hope to have many dozens of articles, so I wouldn't want to have to keep checking whether the screencap is up to date for each one... Of course, it assumes anyone will ever write forum-message "comments" on anything on my wiki, lol

Alternately, is there at least a way to show how many messages are in a thread? In other words, run some little script on the wiki, that either runs a little script on MyBB (or maybe can directly interrogate it) to a a number, the number of messages? If something like is possible, all I would have to do is hardwire it once on the wiki, then it would update itself with the current count. It could be something run each time the wiki page is viewed, or could be some independent script(s) that ran once a night or whatever for the whole wiki.

I realize you're a MyBB programmer, and may not know MediaWiki well. So perhaps this boils down to whether you know a way on the MyBB side for it to hand off a count of the number of messages in a particular thread.

I'm just trying to think outside the box for a simple way to still let users know there are "comments" over in the forum thread dedicated to each wiki page.

For the record, I see that you do MyBB work for hire. I will keep this in mind because I may need someone from time to time. My hands are pretty full.

Thanks again!

Just full disclosure, I'm not an official member of the MyBB Team however I do contribute some PRs to the MyBB Group from time to time, if you have the knowhow of writing Mediawiki Extensions you could run an SQL Query to the MyBB Database to get the number of replies to a thread.

Displaying the output of the following query in a MediaWiki Extension shouldn't be too much work Smile
MariaDB [sf]> SELECT replies FROM mybb_threads WHERE tid = '1165';
+---------+
| replies |
+---------+
|       1 |
+---------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Thoughts?
Thanks Lunorian, this is a really useful example which is also pointing out to me how SQL might be used in other ways to link different parts of my site together, one way or another. In this particular case (forum "comments" for wiki articles) I will be trying the iframe approach first. But the SQL query concept is still an important insight in general. For somebody as clueless as me, laugh.
(2017-05-28, 06:42 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-28, 03:10 AM)R34P3R Wrote: [ -> ]It would be much easier with an iframe element:

Good idea if they domain doesn't block iframes with HTTP Headers.
It would not be possible to block iframes on a domain that you have control of, it is a simple edit of the configuration file that would allow xframes, that said I have only ever heard of websites blocking remote use of iframes, never local use.
Thanks again for all your help R34P3R and Lunorian,

I will try to implement the iframes in the next week or three, it sounds like what I'm looking for and Reaper offered to help,

So I am marking this as solved. If I get a chance I will come back and post more details once it works, in case any other noobs want more details on a specific example with MediaWiki.

You two have been wonderful. Thank you so much!