MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Quoting a post with an attachment.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I gotcha, I'll look into it.
(2017-07-08, 11:32 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]I gotcha, I'll look into it.

Thanks.  If it can't be done, then this portion bolded below is fine:

(2017-07-08, 09:51 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]By making a plugin  Big Grin  Big Grin

In all seriousness though, do you mean you want an attached image that is displaying in a post to be copied and re-displayed when it's quoted? Or do you mean in the quoted post you just want to show that an image was attached to the original post they're quoting and let users open the attachment from the new post?
(2017-07-08, 11:55 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]

In all seriousness though, do you mean you want an attached image that is displaying in a post to be copied and re-displayed when it's quoted? Or do you mean in the quoted post you just want to show that an image was attached to the original post they're quoting and let users open the attachment from the new post?

Alright, though just to be clear this method will eat up serious bandwidth on forums/threads with lots of images. It is essentially loading the image an additional time per quote which could be very problematic very quickly for many small forums. Just a word of warning if I end up going this route.
(2017-07-08, 11:24 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]Alright and what do you think the quote should show? Maybe just something like:
Quote:blah blah post blah blah.....

Attached files:
1. imgfilename.jpg [IMAGE/JPG]
2. txtfilename.txt [TXT]
3. archivename.zip [ZIP]

Is this a better way then?
(2017-07-08, 11:59 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-08, 11:55 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]

Alright, though just to be clear this method will eat up serious bandwidth on forums/threads with lots of images. It is essentially loading the image an additional time per quote which could be very problematic very quickly for many small forums. Just a word of warning if I end up going this route.

Hence the reason I suggested a LINK ( to original image(s) )
Yeah the method described in thread Vanz linked is definitely the smarter route.
(2017-07-10, 04:19 AM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah the method described in thread Vanz linked is definitely the smarter route.

For normal images embedded in a post (not through an attachment), then the image isn't loaded a second time when the post is quoted, right?

Also, OT, but did you like any of those other flavors of Dr. Pepper too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper#Varieties
(2017-07-10, 07:18 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-10, 04:19 AM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah the method described in thread Vanz linked is definitely the smarter route.

For normal images embedded in a post (not through an attachment), then the image isn't loaded a second time when the post is quoted, right?

Also, OT, but did you like any of those other flavors of Dr. Pepper too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper#Varieties
First, anyone who knows more about this than I do feel free to chime in, I'm not an expert by any means.

I would assume that it does get loaded a second time because it's still querying the image host. Unless there's a caching mechanism or something built-in to prevent requesting the same images multiple times, the server is still transferring data. The important distinction between hosting images internally vs. externally is that images hosted on another site use that site's bandwidth to serve the image, not yours. This is one reason why so many websites use AWS and similar services to host their data for them for a fraction of the cost.
But data transmitted between user and server costs bandwidth. When the image is embedded it still has to send the data to the user so that the user can see the image. This happens regardless of where the image is hosted; the data has to eventually go from server to user if the user is going to see the image data. More images = more bandwidth. Whoever hosts the file eats the bandwidth cost.

And OT, the only two I like are the cane sugar throwbacks and regular. Honestly never tried or even seen a lot of those other flavors lol.
(2017-07-10, 09:34 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]First, anyone who knows more about this than I do feel free to chime in, I'm not an expert by any means.

I would assume that it does get loaded a second time because it's still querying the image host. Unless there's a caching mechanism or something built-in to prevent requesting the same images multiple times, the server is  still transferring data. The important distinction between hosting images internally vs. externally is that images hosted on another site use that site's bandwidth to serve the image, not yours. This is one reason why so many websites use AWS and similar services to host their data for them for a fraction of the cost.
But data transmitted between user and server costs bandwidth. When the image is embedded it still has to send the data to the user so that the user can see the image. This happens regardless of where the image is hosted; the data has to eventually go from server to user if the user is going to see the image data. More images = more bandwidth. Whoever hosts the file eats the bandwidth cost.

is THIS IMAGE being LOADED here, or not ?

or is this ? VVVVVV
 [Image: SC2994-483-2.jpg]

or is BOTH images "loading" here ?
(2017-07-10, 11:02 PM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-10, 09:34 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]First, anyone who knows more about this than I do feel free to chime in, I'm not an expert by any means.

I would assume that it does get loaded a second time because it's still querying the image host. Unless there's a caching mechanism or something built-in to prevent requesting the same images multiple times, the server is  still transferring data. The important distinction between hosting images internally vs. externally is that images hosted on another site use that site's bandwidth to serve the image, not yours. This is one reason why so many websites use AWS and similar services to host their data for them for a fraction of the cost.

is THIS IMAGE being LOADED here, or not ?

or is this ? VVVVVV
 [Image: SC2994-483-2.jpg]

or is BOTH images "loading" here ?
The image you linked isn't being loaded because it's never being displayed. It's just text that hyperlinks to an image, which has nothing to do with actually loading an image. The image you embedded is being loaded because it's being displayed. Additionally, since it's hosted on MyBB, it's using MyBB's bandwidth every time someone views it.
Pages: 1 2