MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam Attacks from AS45595
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So recently I've seen a huge spam attack coming from IP Addresses in Pakistan that belong to AS45595, often between 10 and 20 spam posts per day. As such I instructed my security provider Cloudflare to block the network to stop the spam. I was able to notice the attack pattern thanks to the statistics that StopForumSpam provides you about the spammers you submit. I dislike having to block an entire network because it harms users on the network who did nothing wrong. What are your thoughts on spam management?
I tend to ask myself if the range I am blocking has an actual reason to visit my site. They don't? Cool. Blocked at Firewall level.
(2017-06-13, 01:39 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I tend to ask myself if the range I am blocking has an actual reason to visit my site. They don't? Cool. Blocked at Firewall level.

The only users on that network I blocked who use my site are spambots. It was a no-brainer decision :/
(2017-06-13, 04:39 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-13, 01:39 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I tend to ask myself if the range I am blocking has an actual reason to visit my site. They don't? Cool. Blocked at Firewall level.

The only users on that network I blocked who use my site are spambots. It was a no-brainer decision :/

I've had a few... 'interesting' ones over the years; one was a university somewhere. One person got the entire university blocked from my network. Harassment over several social media platforms is not something I take lightly, so I blocked the entire range. I have added an 'appeals' email to the block page, so if someone GENUINELY needs access, they can get it.
(2017-06-13, 06:28 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-13, 04:39 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-13, 01:39 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I tend to ask myself if the range I am blocking has an actual reason to visit my site. They don't? Cool. Blocked at Firewall level.

I've had a few... 'interesting' ones over the years; one was a university somewhere. One person got the entire university blocked from my network. Harassment over several social media platforms is not something I take lightly, so I blocked the entire range. I have added an 'appeals' email to the block page, so if someone GENUINELY needs access, they can get it.

For users who have been blocked I've told them to setup a private VPN on a VPS on a zero-tolerance for spam VPS provider (Google, AWS, DigitalOcean, etc) and provided them an easy to use tutorial.