MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can I downgrade MyBB without a backup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The forum has only ever existed running 1.8.12 so there's no backup of an older version. I'd like to revert to 1.8.7. Can I do this without losing current users and/or current posts? Can I just create a backup of certain databases (users, posts, etc), re-install the older version, then bring in the database backups?
it might be possible but it could be a complex process.
can you tell us why you want to revert to older version ?
(2017-06-20, 01:14 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]it might be possible but it could be a complex process.

I really want to use the current theme but it's for 1.8.7 and a lot of things don't work.

I've backed up the users, posts, reputation, etc, as well as a full backup. I think I'll try reverting to an older version and replacing the select databases. If it doesn't work I'll reinstall current version and use the full backup.
^ please see reply to your recent post at iGame 1.8.7 (Dark transparent skin)
(2017-06-20, 01:17 PM)HelloPookie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-20, 01:14 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]it might be possible but it could be a complex process.

I really want to use the current theme but it's for 1.8.7 and a lot of things don't work.

I've backed up the users, posts, reputation, etc, as well as a full backup. I think I'll try reverting to an older version and replacing the select databases. If it doesn't work I'll reinstall current version and use the full backup.

If you choose to downgrade you likely won't be able to get any further support on the community forums. Not only are you putting your users at risk by choosing not to use the latest stable version with security patches, you're choosing to stick with an older version and likely won't upgrade until it's "too late". Save yourself a lot of time, pain, and embarrassment, and stick with the latest stable version. Keep your forum up to date. Either choose a theme which is designed for the latest version of MyBB, or spend a few minutes modifying the theme to work with the current version.

Admin CP > Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates
I'm having a similar need, I messed up a bit here.... I was upgrading from 1.8.29 to 1.8.32 but I uploaded all the files (after doing a DB backup from the AdminCP saved as tar.gz), then I uploaded ALL files from 1.8.32 besides the Theme and files in the plugins directory.... then I ran /install/upgrade.php but selected 1.8.31 and ran it.... not realizing i picked wrong version from dropdown menu I uploaded /install direcory from 1.8.32 again (RAN AGAIN This time Picking Correct -> 1.8.32 from Dropdown Menu)

BUT NOW I CANNOT LOGIN to ADMIN (after the login screen, it logs in then goes to a ALL WHITE AdminCP, so doesn't get passed the Login Box & can't enter the Admin Area at All).... I haven't messed around too much after this, but noticed Members can Still Signup & Post Threads/Posts!!

Is there a way I can manually fix this by using phpMyAdmin to do a mySQL Dump & Re-install 1.8.32 from SCRATCH (keeping plugins directory in tact) & Theme Directory but replace all other files and either downgrade if somehow easier? OR just do a re-install (not using Upgrade AT ALL), but somehow use the mySQL Dump so I don't LOOSE ANNY DATA AT ALL? Hopefully there is a way to do a whole MANUAL way of approaching this, IF SO, Can Somebody please Give me Some Help in STEPS NEEDED TO TAKE PLEASE?

I know I made a real mess here, i've gone from phpBB2.x experience into myBB recently, and this was just a stupid mistake as I didn't Read the Upgrade Instructions Properly, and ended up messing up the version altogether, as I was going to U/G to 1.8.31 but downloaded 1.8.32 instead (newly latest), was only upgrading for New Version of Theme rather than latest version of myBB, but rushed into it & realized I selected incorrect version from Upgrade Dropdown... THEN after realizing what I did, uploaded /install/ folder and clicked on correct version this time.... But later I realized the proper way of doing this is to just upload New Files Only (from what I understand). Not whole new clean version then running /install/upgrade.php [As far as I read correctly]....

HOW CAN THIS BE ACCOMPLISHED PLEASE GUYS 'N GALS?
THANKS SOOOOO MUCH FOR ANY HELP GETTING MY FORUM BACK UP AND RUNNING CORRECTLY.....

[PLS PM ME WITH LINK TO ANY INFO]
Check your server error log to see if there are any details on what is causing the error.

Re-installing is never the answer, if you install a fresh board and import a backup, you will have the exact same database you started with (read more here). It's more likely there's a PHP error being thrown, and is nothing to do with the database.

You cal also try re-running the upgrade script and select 1.8.29, there shouldn't ever be any issues with running the upgrade script multiple times.
Put the following near the top of your admin/index.php file (don't put it at the first line, it must be after the opening "<?php" tag)

ini_set('display_errors', 1);
ini_set('display_startup_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

This will allow PHP to report the errors to you rather than simply generating a white page, which will help diagnose what's causing the issue.