MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unbanned member treated as banned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently, a new registrant posted a post which I questioned for several reasons. I posted a warning in a response and at least one other member also posted a response.

I wrote to the original poster and the response I received was so filled with vitriol that I banned the poster, necessarily deleting my response and the other members response.

My own access to the system is unimpaired.

However, the other member who posted a response now receives on error message saying he's banned. In the membership database, the member shows up as not banned. In the list of banned members, the person does not show up at all.

When the member tries to log on, the following error message appears:
I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions.
  • Has anyone encountered this oddity before?
  • Does anyone know how to allow this person access again? I have changed the members password, but that didn't help.
  • Is there some known reason why this happened and if so, how can I avoid it in the future?
Thanks in advance for any response.

ModeratorM
That message means their IP is banned. Not related to their account. Simply remove it from the list of banned IPs in the ACP.
(2017-06-25, 07:03 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]That message means their IP is banned. Not related to their account. Simply remove it from the list of banned IPs in the ACP.

Nathan,

You may be right. The IP was in the banned list and it shouldn't have been. I removed it and passed the information to the member. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Thanks for such a timely response.

ModeratorM

(2017-06-25, 10:29 PM)ModeratorM Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-25, 07:03 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]That message means their IP is banned. Not related to their account. Simply remove it from the list of banned IPs in the ACP.

Nathan,

You may be right. The IP was in the banned list and it shouldn't have been. I removed it and passed the information to the member. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Thanks for such a timely response.

ModeratorM

Hi Nathan,

Well, that didn't work for the member. Still gets a banned message when he visits the forum.

I confirmed that the IP and the parts of it aren't banned. I logged on as the member, so the problem seems, as you say, to lie with the IP in some way. I wonder if it might be a temp file, so I asked him to reboot and try again.

I'm going offline, but I'll try again tomorrow, Monday. Thanks again,

ModeratorM

(2017-06-25, 10:29 PM)ModeratorM Wrote: [ -> ]Nathan or anyone else,

The member still cannot get past the ban message. Here's his report: "Tried logging in, no change.  Then rebooted, cleared cookies, etc, then rebooted again.  Still locked on the banned screen."

So, despite my removing the IP and checking its components, the IP is still somewhere in the MyBB system. Where might it be and how can I delete it?

Again, I banned a poster after there were replies from me and the member who's incorrectly banned because banning the spammer and deleting her posts deleted the replies. I was not inadvertently banned; the other member, the one I'm trying to help, was banned.

It's a frustrating & intriguing problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ModeratorM