MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sphinx Full Text Search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know if there is an up to date version of the Sphinx plugin? I did a Google search and found a thread of 2009 (https://community.mybb.com/thread-43165.html). Does this plugin work with the most recent 1.8? It doesn't seem to be listed in the plugin downloads. I know Sphinx is a touchy subject with some folks, but I help manage a board with about 1.5 million posts so I thought I would give Sphinx a whirl. I've seen some benchmarks that suggest is surpasses MySQL's full text index.
As a follow up, the search plugin that I linked to above does not work in MyBB 1.8. There are a few issues with the insert query for the "searchlog" table. In addition, there are some config parameters in the searchd.conf that have changed with the latest edition of the Sphinx full text search engine. I have sorted all that out and now have a working Sphinx engine for MyBB 1.8. If anyone is interested in how I got it to work, I will either open a Github shortly or just create a plugin.
You can make a github repo, and post it in the original thread you are posten above, for other people that are trying the same. Nice work Wink
(2017-07-10, 07:58 AM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]You can make a github repo, and post it in the original thread you are posten above, for other people that are trying the same. Nice work Wink

Awesome, will do! One question as far as licensing goes....

The original plugin file has the following for a license:

Quote:/**
* Sphinx Plugin
* Copyright © 2009 Ryan Gordon - NCAABBS Skunkworks Division
* License: GNU/GPL
*/

I couldn't find any repos to fork from this guy, so I would essentially be creating a new one. I want to give credit where credit is due, so how should I go about this without getting into trouble Toungue ?
The linked board is still active try first to contact him there. And tell him you updated the Plugin. May he will like publish this update by it self with give you a little credit, or he allow you to make a fork.