MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hiding All Threads in Section Except One
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi -

I'd like to allow only certain users to see a given thread within a section that is otherwise not viewable.

Under Forum Management permissions, I tried unchecking Can View forum? and checking Can View Threads within forum? However this doesn't allow the user to see the section or threads, even if the user has a link to the thread.

Is there a way to add specified users to a thread in an otherwise non-viewable forum? If not, what would be a fairly equivalent workaround?

Thanks!
Permissions can't be tied to a thread in this manner, so the workaround would be to create another forum, set permissions, and move the thread into there.
Thanks. I was afraid of that. It doesn't seem very efficient to do that, especially if two users need to access two different threads at the same time.
(2017-07-10, 02:27 PM)mici Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. I was afraid of that. It doesn't seem very efficient to do that, especially if two users need to access two different threads at the same time.

A plugin would be the alternative, but this is a fairly specific and complex feature to add.
What would it take to allow users or guests with a link to access (view/post in) a thread within a private section?
check if Private Threads plugin works & serves your requirement

see also Invite Only Threads plugin (MyBB 1.6.x) [changing the plugin compatibility to try it on MyBB 1.8.x]
(2017-07-13, 02:40 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]check if Private Threads plugin works & serves your requirement

see also Invite Only Threads plugin (MyBB 1.6.x) [changing the plugin compatibility to try it on MyBB 1.8.x]

Thanks for your reply! The Private Threads plugin gave errors after installing. The Invite Only Threads plugin looks good because specific users can be given access to the thread. However, how can this functionality be extended to those who are not registered as well? Meaning, anybody (registered or not) who has the link to the thread can view it?
(2017-07-18, 08:10 PM)mici Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your reply! The Private Threads plugin gave errors after installing. The Invite Only Threads plugin looks good, but instead of granting access to entire user groups, can it be configured so that anybody with the thread link can view it?
Technically it can be configured to do anything, it's a plugin Wink . That being said, judging by the feature list it doesn't appear that's any kind of built in functionality so you would probably have to modify the plugin to do that. Also note that it's made for 1.6 so at the very least you'll need to change the compatibility to work on a 1.8 board.

What errors did the private threads plugin give? We might be able to solve those for you if you gave more specific details. Do you think it would work better than the Invite Only threads plugin if you could get it installed properly?
The warnings for the Private Threads plugin are as follows:

Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ~/inc/plugins/privatethreads.php:389) - Line: 24 - File: admin/index.php PHP 5.6.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
[PHP] errorHandler->error
/admin/index.php 24 header
Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ~/inc/plugins/privatethreads.php:389) - Line: 25 - File: admin/index.php PHP 5.6.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/admin/index.php 25 header
Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ~/inc/plugins/privatethreads.php:389) - Line: 64 - File: admin/index.php PHP 5.6.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/admin/index.php 64 header
I'm not quite sure how to use the Private Threads plugin. It's difficult to understand the description on the plugin page.

Anybody know how to resolve these warnings (or how to use the plugin)? I only see one setting in Configuration/settings/Private Threads Settings.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2