MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Migration or upgrade from 1.6.10 to 1.8.12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is my forum : http://forum.pokemonpets.com/

I want to make it responsive but didnt update it for a long time now

It is still 1.6.10 with a lot of addons plugins and some custom modification

So i would prefer clean install of 1.8.12 and migrate my users and posts to the new forum

But not sure which way to follow

Should i migrate or upgrade?

Need your help ty
migration could be a complex process.
it would be better to uninstall all the plugins, take required backups & upgrade forum.

[MyBB Upgrading Guidance]
You don't need to uninstall your plugins - you will lose all your plugin data if you do that. just deactivate them.

1.8.12 is not responsive on it's own, you will need a responsive theme.

Of the plugins that i can see you have - prostats, thankyou/Like, i don't see that being a problem when you upgrade. Although Prostats will be a problem to get responsive because its tabular structure is coded into the plugin file.

There's no need to migrate or do a clean install, just upgrade after making backups first.
(2017-07-13, 05:11 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need to uninstall your plugins - you will lose all your plugin data if you do that. just deactivate them.

1.8.12 is not responsive on it's own, you will need a responsive theme.

Of the plugins that i can see you have - prostats, thankyou/Like, i don't see that being a problem when you upgrade. Although Prostats will be a problem to get responsive because its tabular structure is coded into the plugin file.

There's no need to migrate or do a clean install, just upgrade after making backups first.

here my full plugin list

http://i.imgur.com/Xdvjmmx.png

can you comment?
Some of them you're not even using right ? others like Akismet which i am not familiar with may well be redundant with v1.8.12 because MyBB has improved spam protection now.

Google SEO plugin has been updated by its author, there's a thread in plugin releases.

Other plugins look old and will need to be adapted if they make style changes.

Overall it does not look like a difficult upgrade, however if you're not confident you should seek someone to assist. Your URLs for eg, you want to preserve your SEO position.
Most of them are updated, on the first look, other ones are now core features.
You realy should make a full backup before try anything.

For the google SEO for example you need to revert the core changes and complete uninstall it, deaktivate your rewrite roules and after updating to 1.8 you need to install the new version.
(2017-07-13, 06:36 PM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]Most of them are updated, on the first look, other ones are now core features.
You realy should make a full backup before try anything.

For the google SEO for example you need to revert the core changes and complete uninstall it, deaktivate your rewrite roules and after updating to 1.8 you need to install the new version.

sure can do that

also which ones are core features now? so i can deleted them when migrated 1.8.12

currently taking full backup and gonna test on test domain
Good bye spammer for example.... its now the "prune spammer" function
JS Bot detection is obsolet if you use recaptcha
Moderators can edit admin posts .... just set the premissions to the group
Registration Security question, is now core feature
(2017-07-13, 07:21 PM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]Good bye spammer for example.... its now the "prune spammer" function
JS Bot detection is obsolet if you use recaptcha
Moderators can edit admin posts .... just set the premissions to the group
Registration Security question, is now core feature

nice ones

what about forum icons search icons

signature height

additional usergroup images

edit history logs

man there are just so many addons :d

currently upgrading test forum
The forum icons one you will have to look at the HTML in the templates and adapt it to the new style of 1.8
Pages: 1 2