MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private Threads Accessible ONLY With Link
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi -

I am looking for a plugin that can do the following:

1) Make a thread private / hidden for all users except admin / moderators or the original poster (whichever's easier)
2) Allow users (registered or unregistered) to access this link ONLY IF they have the thread's URL

Basically looking for the ability to hide the thread from the forum view but still have it directly accessible.

Who's able to create this? How difficult would it be to develop?

Thanks!
Not that simple to develop, would you be interested in paying for it?

An easier way around this would be letting users sort of create a 'thread' on a custom page that has similar functionality, almost like a ticket system. I do understand that you don't get the full features of an actual hidden thread this way, but depending on what exactly you're trying to use this for it could work for you.
This shouldn't be that difficult to make. I doubt anyone would make this for free because it is somewhat specific, so if you want it you will have to most likely pay to have it developed.
Quote:Make a thread private / hidden for all users except admin / moderators or the original poster (whichever's easier)

You can accomplish this with default MyBB forum permissions. No plugin or edits required. Unless you're talking about just one thread in a specific forum. Otherwise you can use the default permissions system and create a forum that can only be viewed by staff in addition to the thread authors.

Quote:Allow users (registered or unregistered) to access this link ONLY IF they have the thread's URL

If you need this kind of functionality bundled with the above requirement you'll need to explain why and give more information. Considering if the two are related you should only need to complete the first requirement to achieve what you want.
This will require a core mod (or huge plugin), cause you need to modify the way how mybb handle thread id's and replace them with something random generated. Otherwise some just need to change the thread id in url.
(2017-07-20, 12:33 PM)mici Wrote: [ -> ]Hi -

1) Make a thread private / hidden for all users except admin / moderators or the original poster (whichever's easier)

2) Allow users (registered or unregistered) to access this link ONLY IF they have the thread's URL

Purpose #2 contradicts purpose of #1
(2017-07-26, 04:36 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]

It would make more sense if you read the very next sentence. 

Quote:Basically looking for the ability to hide the thread from the forum view but still have it directly accessible
Just add two new fields to threads, one to identify it as hidden and another to assign a ramdon key to the thread to glue to the url. Then hijack every thread query for hidden threads and block the thread page if the urls don't have the assigned key.

Should be easy to code, I suppose... kind of feasible..
(2017-07-26, 03:40 PM)ectomatt Wrote: [ -> ]

Quote:Basically looking for the ability to hide the thread from the forum view but still have it directly accessible

Whats the purpose of it being "private/hidden"  if others (even unregistered) can "access" it ?

All it takes is one user to "share" the threads URL, and it becomes "meaningless".

MyBB already has the ability to hide "Private Forum", then use:
Custom Permission to allow only the "thread Starter" ( and admin/moderators) to see/read a thread in that forum,

Accomplishes what the OP is basically looking for, no ?

https://community.mybb.com/forum-135.html
(2017-07-27, 01:51 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-26, 03:40 PM)ectomatt Wrote: [ -> ]

Whats the purpose of it being "private/hidden"  if others (even unregistered) can "access" it ?

All it takes is one user to "share" the threads URL, and it becomes "meaningless".

MyBB already has the ability to hide "Private Forum", then use:
Custom Permission to allow only the "thread Starter" ( and admin/moderators) to see/read a thread in that forum,

Accomplishes what the OP is basically looking for, no ?

https://community.mybb.com/forum-135.html

You still don't understand what he's asking for. He wants a plugin that allows users to make a new thread not appear publicly in the forum listing/search for average users or guests (but admins/mods/OP can see it in the forum listing/search). The thread is not private, it just doesn't show up on forum listings when they are generated for average users or guests. However an average user or guest can still view the thread if they have a direct link to it. 

What he's asking for isn't contradictory, he just didn't explain it quite as well as he could have. I could see situations where something like that could be useful.
Pages: 1 2