MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Used Disk space of forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I am ready to put my board with a professional web hosting company after some trial run. Where do I go to figure out how much space is consumed by the board?

How much disk space does all the forums, threads, post consume?
If separate, how much space does mysql consume?

with warm regards
Ronald Cross
When you are about to move to paid hosting, there are things that you have to consider: such as, how much is going to cost mothly/annually, are you going to be hosting more than one thing on the host ect.

When looking for paid hosting/free hosting you are best trying to find a host with cpanel and its latest version, as cpanel i have found to be the best and easier to use out of them all.

If you are only going to be hosting a forum then you don't really need alot of space, on my old host i had 250mg, and i oonly used like 10 - 20 mb, that was IPB and many many mods and image ect, so i think about 200 to 400mb of space is enough just to run a forum, but if you are going for paid hosting and cheap try and find a host who has good uptime and you get enough bandwidth also.

You also want to try and find a host where they let you have unlimited mysql databases ect.
Thanks smoke, but that doesn't answer my question. I want to know where do I need to look to find how much space my forum is currently using.

with warm regards
Ronald Cross
If you current host offers a control panel, you usually should be able to find out how much space you're currently using. If you can't find it, you can always download your files from your server and find out how much space your files take. You can find the database space you've taken in phpMyAdmin.
Ok, I have a question about the rate of disk usage. Currently, mysql is taking up 1MB while the forum software takes up 10MB.

When new forums are create, threads are being created and people are posting. At what rate does the mysql data base grow? At what rate does the forum's files grow?

Do they grow at the same rate, i.e. is there a 1 to 1 ratio? I would like to know this because I want to predict how much space I need as the message board becomes more populated.
rlc65la Wrote:Ok, I have a question about the rate of disk usage. Currently, mysql is taking up 1MB while the forum software takes up 10MB.

When new forums are create, threads are being created and people are posting. At what rate does the mysql data base grow? At what rate does the forum's files grow?

Do they grow at the same rate, i.e. is there a 1 to 1 ratio? I would like to know this because I want to predict how much space I need as the message board becomes more populated.

Any answer will be wrong when it comes to ratio. The more members post, send pms, upload attachments, etc. the more the disk space grows. Also when you start installing additional language packs, or additional themes, then that's a different story. The mysql db could consume less disk space of course, if you do not get too many posts or threads (the mybb_posts often gets the lion share). So the ratio could be anything depending on how you are going to use the forum. If you have cpanel in your free hosting then you can know exactly how much disk space your forum is using or the size of the MySQL DB, by checking the quota used in your db.
The ratio cannot be 1 to 1, it has to be something like 1 to 10: the first 1 is for the db and the 10 is for the forum itself or it could be the opposite, depending, I as I mentioned, on the content of your forum.
please don't hesitate to ask if you need any help.
Regards