MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: way to help SE show sub-forums?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The attachment shown is a screenshot of bing search results from python forum. .org one is our old forum in PhpBB while our .io one is in MyBB. Why does the old forum show the sub forum categories? And how can we get them to show on our new forum?
[attachment=39135]

Also in the same token; How can i chage our google description? Its currently taking info from guest popup plugin asking to register as the google description. 
[attachment=39136]
The first circle you drew there are called sitelinks. They are automated and created by Google - you don't have direct control over them in creating them.

See this document:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/an...7334?hl=en

Do you still have control over your old domain, because what you need to do is try to preserve your SEO position and transfer it over to your new domain. That will most likely require someone who is expert in htacess and both MyBB and phpBB, because for the most part the URLs are different.

Regarding the meta descriptions, you can specify descriptions with a meta tag in the head section, I think Google SEO plugin does that, not sure. But also there even if you have one specified Google does not always publish that description. it sometimes makes up its own description. Same with page title tags.
thanks for the info. I was hoping i could do something to help google determine description and sitelinks. As the description is completely wrong, and wish they had sitelinks like they used in the old forum. Our google ranking has appeared to compete with out old forum over the past year. I was just hoping that google would drop that old ranking due to no activity and all the activity on the new forum. 

I do have google SEO plugin installed and working. But i dont see anything regarding description.

I also do not have server access to the old forum. Just mod access and limited ACP access. The old server admin is MIA and still doesnt even know that the forum is abandoned almost a year ago.
(2017-07-29, 03:59 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for the info. I was hoping i could do something to help google determine description and sitelinks. As the description is completely wrong, and wish they had sitelinks like they used in the old forum. Our google ranking has appeared to compete with out old forum over the past year. I was just hoping that google would drop that old ranking due to no activity and all the activity on the new forum. 

I do have google SEO plugin installed and working. But i dont see anything regarding description.

I also do not have server access to the old forum. Just mod access and limited ACP access. The old server admin is MIA and still doesnt even know that the forum is abandoned almost a year ago.

With time the old URLs will fall away, along with all the accumulated value those URLs have built up. The important part of my first post was the redirection of the old to new URLs. New sites generally don't get site links quickly, they take time to develop. Personally i would not worry about description tags, they vary in any case with the search query submitted by users, and the search engines do a good enough job of creating their own descriptions.