MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread Alerts continue to be emailed after Spam attackers banned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thread Alerts continue to be emailed after Spam attackers banned...
A group of several spam attackers hit my site the other day and posted tons of spam. I banned them and deleted their posts. I also deleted those accounts. However, my email box is getting flooded at random times with 'new thread' alerts. If you go to the board, nothing is actually posted.
The emails are originating from my host server so it has to be MyBBS sending the emails.
I updated from old version to latest 1.8.12 but no help. I do have thread alerts setup. The emails have the deleted users names as posting user.

Ideas?

Update: Whenever I access the site, change threads, etc, it spawns these email alerts. Logged in or not. I unsubscribed from all threads but this has changed nothing.
What I have sofar...
Only emails being issued are sent to admin. Thread alerts are not actually working for any user. I altered the php.php in the mailhandler directory to change the message to a plain test message to verify these email were originating from MyBB and yes they are. 

These emails are only being fired off when admin refreshes / changes pages. I've logged in as other user and it does not trip any odd behavior aside from not getting normal new thread alerts when subscribed to threads.

Trying to avoid deleting and reloading from backup. Expert advice would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Gave up and just reinstalled from backup. This will do for now until the next attack.
Sounds like your mail queue was still filled, mybb side or server side are possible.
(2017-08-01, 04:37 AM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like your mail queue was still filled, mybb side or server side are possible.

Sounds like your spam filter died, still getting mail after you pressed unsubscribe.
(2017-08-01, 06:33 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-01, 04:37 AM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like your mail queue was still filled, mybb side or server side are possible.

Sounds like your spam filter died, still getting mail after you pressed unsubscribe.

The emails were from my mail server sent via myBB. These were thread alerts not spam messages.
MyBB has a task to send out mass mailings. Every 15 minutes it grabs a certain number of messages from the mail queue and sends them out. It may have needed to run multiple times in order to clear the queue.