MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editing Banned Message
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have recently had to ban Anonymouse.org access due to an unsavoury few people. Having tested it the Banning Message seems harsh to a genuine member that uses anonymouse.org for a seemingly(to them) genuine reason.

Where do I find the banning message so it can be edited please?

Thanks in advance for your help.
You mean this: "Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource." ?

That's in forum/inc/languages/english/messages.lang.php

If you're looking for something else, it's probably in the same folder but another file.
If you're talking about the message that users get from being IP-banned, then you can find it in global.lang.php:

$l['error_banned'] = "I'm sorry, but you are banned.  You may not post, read threads, or access the forum.  Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions.";
thanks for your replies, I will have a look in a bit.

Cheers
pdr
Hi,

I amended the global.lang.php. to say "I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions. Access to this forum is via anonymous proxy servers is banned-if you feel you have a valid reason for use of such a service please contact the forum administrator"

As soon as I did this access to the forum was lost for everyone.

We have decided to leave the ban on the anonymouse.org IPs but would like to expand on the message that the anonymouse user gets...

pdr1969 Wrote:Hi,

I amended the global.lang.php. to say "I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions. Access to this forum is via anonymous proxy servers is banned-if you feel you have a valid reason for use of such a service please contact the forum administrator"

As soon as I did this access to the forum was lost for everyone.

We have decided to leave the ban on the anonymouse.org IPs but would like to expand on the message that the anonymouse user gets...

if you post your modified global.lang.php we may be able to spot an error you made when editing the file.

make sure that when you post it you post it between a set of [PHP] and [/PHP] tags
Actually, it's a better idea to attach the file as we can then check for whitespace before <?php. What editor did you use to edit the file?
I have attached a copy of the amended global.lang.php.

Using notepad to edit...

Cheers for your help.
You should not use Notepad to make modifications to PHP files. Use Wordpad, Crimson Editor, Notepad++ as those will not give you any problems.

I suggest you make the same modification with a clean global.lang.php file with one of the programs I listed above. Smile