MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Looking to port from SMF 2.0.14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I figured this was the most general place to post this, so please let me know if I need to post elsewhere.

I'm an admin at a decent sized forum running on SMF 2.0.14.  I've been waiting a few years for SMF's 2.1 upgrade to get out of BETA, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.  Therefore, I found this forum and it looks really clean, and the dev team seems to have a clue, so I'd like to port to this system.

Our users don't care about any functionality beyond their posts and replies.

Our DB is ~2.6G of space, and we have ~335k posts.  We don't use images or host images or anything, as all images are linked from elsewhere.  I would do the conversion locally, of course.

I saw the SMF to MyBB conversion threads, but I didn't find one that addresses "pretty URLs".  We have to preserve our URLs as we have links littered across the web over the past 7 years.  In the DB, there's a 2-field table that ties the URL to the topic ID, so conceptually it should be simple.  Is this handled in the SMF conversion utility?  If not, I'd be happy to submit a patch if I can get up to speed.

I have more questions, but I'm sure I'll answer them as I look around here.  I really like this forum and can't wait to get ported over!
MyBB has a merge system you should use it Big Grin
I will certainly do that. Any insight on bringing over the pretty URLs?
There is a good google seo plugin out. https://community.mybb.com/thread-202483.html
(2017-08-29, 11:18 PM)cpf_taxed Wrote: [ -> ]I will certainly do that.  Any insight on bringing over the pretty URLs?

The concept might be simple, but htaccess rules are complex. You will need someone who is expert in htaccess to implement that for you. i doubt the merge system would attempt to address seo urls at all.
He can just merge the system like it is... then install the google seo plugin, a example htaccess and example for nginx are included... no profi needed.
(2017-08-30, 09:44 AM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]He can just merge the system like it is... then install the google seo plugin, a example htaccess and example for nginx are included... no profi needed.

That won't redirect his current SEO URLs. he will need additional htaccess code for that.
Right now I don't have any current URLs. The current URLs are in our current SMF forum. I'd need to convert those on migration.

Or -- am I missing something critical? Do we have Pretty URLs on this system? Is it not as simple as stuffing the current URL into a field on in the thread table on this forum?