MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change license for 1.8 to MIT - Release from jail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you are going to dump the code for MyBB 1.8 and only continue the 2.0 version then change the license for 1.8 to MIT so other developers can build on it freely and also enable for profit support and enhancements.

This will not take away anything from 2.0 and will keep the old code alive.
The 2.0 can continue under GPL

If you kill the old branch then MyBB and it's users will gain nothing and MyBB as a whole will lose users as many will not want to move to 2.0 which is already beginning to look like sluggish bloatware.
1.8 won't be dumped immediately after 2.0 is released, it will continue to be supported for at least a year.

1.8 is licensed under the terms of the LGPL license, meaning it can be freely modified and distributed, as described here: https://tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-lesser...(lgpl-2.1)

2.0 is licensed under the terms of the BSD 3 Clause license.
2.0 is anything but bloatware. In fact, I'm worried that there aren't *enough* features right now.
(2017-08-06, 08:18 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]I'm worried that there aren't *enough* features right now.

2.0 should act as a core - that is, if you want anything that a forum *doesn't* do, you should be using a plugin. This allows greater flexibility, and for those who don't use a third of the features of 1.8.X (hint: I didn't use like... half of them) - there are no unnecessary queries.