MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Allowing Staff/Mods to change user's usergroup + a temporary workaround
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so this has been asked in the past to allow mods the ability to move users to another usergroup.
Right now only admins can do this or if you give the mod group admin cp user contol power, which we don't want to do! (Did you know a mod with Admin CP power to manage users can promote themselves to Admin!? I tested this)

Anyway, there are some communities (mainly the forum RP communities) that have been requesting this feature for their "workflow" with user approvals. When a user registers they should not have any ability to post accept for in one forum, to submit a "character application thread". Once the app is approved by a staff member the user should then be placed into a new usergroup, "active member" for example, and have access to use the forums.

The temporary workaround I found is by utilizing the built in reputation system and automated User Group Promotions feature. This may mean having to disable reputation privileges for regular users and only allowing staff to rate a user. Basically, once staff approves a "registered" member's application, they then give the user a positive +1 rating on rep. A Group Promotions option needs to be setup in Admin CP to promote a registered user, with a 1 or higher rep, to the "active member" usergroup. I also set the promotions task to run every 5min to ensure promotions occur in a timely manner.

I hope that made sense, and hopefully makes this easier for some, for now anyway Smile