MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Reply, Quote, New Reply confusion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 1.8.12 users continually click the "Reply" button - not the New Reply.
This results in a mess of quotes, within quotes, within quotes, ad nausea. 
Could you make "Reply" just that?  And "Quote" a simple quote?  And distinguish multiple quotes another way?
And keep all the response buttons all on one line?  Why segregate the "New Reply" button?  It's confusing some people.
It is very easy to do what you want, you only need to modify postbit_quote, postbit_reply and postbit_multiquote templates in your theme template and clear the content of showthread_newreply as you don't want the newreply button.

Simple and easy.

Regards
WallBB
Thank you for that - but it doesn't apply.
It still leaves the "Reply" button which users keep hitting, thus creating quotes within quotes within quotes in the thread.
The problem is that "Reply without quote" is not well distinguished from "Reply with quote".
In fact, they are not even grouped together.
^ your feedback is valid ; not sure how the buttons will appear in MyBB 2.0
however this reply can be of some help to remove automatic quote of the Reply button in MyBB 1.8.x
(2017-08-02, 03:01 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ your feedback is valid ; not sure how the buttons will appear in MyBB 2.0
however this reply can be of some help to remove automatic quote of the Reply button in MyBB 1.8.x

I tested this on my localhost and it "works".  
Hitting the "Quote" and then "Reply" can work to include a quote.
The "multi-quote" feature is not understood by many users.  Keep it simple; "Reply" and "Reply with Quote" is better (thou less sophisticated).

Here's hoping that 2.0 is better, simpler, faster. . .
Cool
In the same vein as nesting replies, it might be good, if there was a limit to how deep quotes can be nested.
Quote: ... a limit to how deep quotes can be nested
Maximum Nested Quote Tags setting is already available at the Posting settings page of Configuration section
I changed it in Languages > global.lang.php

postbit_button_quote

postbit_button_multiquote

Rename them to what you like. I use Quote and Multi Quote
however MyBB Stock Theme (1.x) has clear mouse hover descriptions for the postbit buttons
(2017-08-08, 02:19 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]however MyBB Stock Theme (1.x) has clear mouse hover descriptions for the postbit buttons

True but some of my members have a problem understanding mouse hover, and what about those using tablets? I don't have one myself but members with them have often told me they don't have a mouse.

The simple word changes in languages has solved the problem for me for many years now.

I say leave it as it is for 2.0, as you can change it simply enough and some may prefer using other words than the default whatever it's going to be.