MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Noob seeking advices (server/plugins/themes)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi to all,

it's good to see a place where community it's active and helpful!

I am starting a forum project and need some advice from current mybbforum admins please

I've been looking around forums on the are and calculated checking older stats also these numbers.
But i am stuck on what server should i get for the job

The forum i will be setting has this potential to have :
  • 10 000 Threads
  • 500 000 Posts
  • 75 000 users

Daily Average of around:
  • 50 threads
  • 200 posts

Average users daily 50 to 80 -100 at most 
maybe a world best of 500  Wink In a few years

Question1
What kind of server should i get to run this load?
Included with the usual plugins Shoutbox, and maybe get 1 or 2 for ad management free or not

Question2 - 
is there any lightweight image slider free preferred (not mandatory but...)

Question 3
I see that mybbforum has loads of templates free but some are not mobile friendly, 
Looking for a new or to be released soon template from a seasoned helpful dev. doesn't matter if premium
if it comes with documentation anybody can read
I am looking for a dark game's theme

And last
I am thinking on using a wordpress @home with news tutorials and such and use the same header in the rest.
DO you advise for this or to SEO google adds would be better to have the forum @ home.

My budget it's pretty much cloud ops, template or 2 plugins and a lot of head banging to customize everything

Any help, hints, templates or useful  plugins please help a noob here

Thanks  Smile

If this is the wrong section please free to move this thread. Thank you
For a server you can use a vps, maybe 4 cores, and ~8gb~12gb ram (but this all will depend on your visits not your posts). More interest is the software you should use, system optimizing etc... some still recommand apache for example, but i realy would like to recommand to use nginx, php7, mariadb or pgsql, reddis... there are many ways to configure a system and many different suggestion.

There are some dark gaming themes out there, iGame from iAndrew iirc for example. There should be a responsive version too.

I dont know if there is a imageslider out as plugin. But you can easy add some own by editing your header template.

You can combine mybb and a front page based on wordpress by editing your template... but you realy should think about it if you realy need it. You can use the portal for example if you just like to post some news or turorials. No wordpress needed, dont know how google will handle this if you split them, but then you need to administrate 2 different systems wich need's much more time, and you force your user to make 2 accounts (if you not code a bridge) to comment for example. In my eyes not needed for just some news or tuts.

If you need some more advice or help with server technics or optimizing feel free to pm me or ask here.
(2017-08-13, 02:35 PM)Ares St.John Wrote: [ -> ]The forum i will be setting has this potential to have :

But it doesn't have that yet, and it might never reach that. Work with what you know you need, not what you may potentially need in the distant future.
(2017-08-13, 10:45 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-13, 02:35 PM)Ares St.John Wrote: [ -> ]The forum i will be setting has this potential to have :

But it doesn't have that yet, and it might never reach that. Work with what you know you need, not what you may potentially need in the distant future.

+1. Most people start with shared hosting which is fine, may even be able to handle that target of yours if you manage your installation properly.
Hi Nathan,
for who is runing on a very tight budget it's wise what you say. You also can upgrade if you start having performance issues.

I am thinking on starting with a small vps or a premium shared managed.
What would be the specs you would use if you wanted to run 3 wp installation with 1 med traffic site and the forum.

I am asking for your help because I am requiring all the help before i make a bad choice or run out of budget and don't get everything done.

@broatcast
that is a server alright… so that is my ceiling i better make money with ads or have donations inside it then or it can't last in the long run.
You are right when saying it's about online users more than the amount or daily…
On the distro i was considering a standard lamp install so thanks for the input i will go dig on it
I am about graphics and basic html and thanks so much for answering all the questions with such clarity
but i had an heart attack on the server specs...goddamm

WIth a 70usd budget overall for vpn, server, template and 2 months filling it to release it ready.
Btw what do you use for that, coming soon / maintenance page

i will be honest i never knew what portal was for…

Thanks for helping me here if i can contribute also with graphics please say

@Ashley maybe that will be a starting point a premium shared cpanel managed hosting or a 2gb vpn i don't see my budget stretch…but if doesn't work the thing is you only have to scale to vpn with cpanel or do the whole work for migrating all.
But managed would be heavenly for a non programmer

I was looking at some functionalities that would improve usability

and saw a paid plugin for drag and drop (mydropzone) and from all the templates i have seen i saw one called Darkfire that would work fine with fewer tweaks
Have you guys try them or know their quality and support
(2017-08-14, 12:29 PM)Ares St.John Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Nathan,
for who is runing on a very tight budget it's wise what you say. You also can upgrade if you start having performance issues.

I am thinking on starting with a small vps or a premium shared managed.
What would be the specs you would use if you wanted to run 3 wp installation with 1 med traffic site and the forum.

I am asking for your help because I am requiring all the help before i make a bad choice or run out of budget and don't get everything done.
Good on you for budgeting and planning, 100% the correct route. As for what you need, like everyone before me said any web host will allow you to easily upgrade to a better plan in the future with little-no downtime and very minimal input on your end. The number of Wordpress installations is largely irrelevant for how good of a server you need, all of those have a minimal HDD impact. What you're really interested in is traffic vs server performance. If those WP sites each get 10k+ views a month, I would definitely look into a lower-end VPS. If not, depending on what you classify as a medium-traffic site, there's not really any reason to not go for shared hosting. It's much cheaper and you will notice very quickly if there are performance issues. Plus, pretty much every webhost I've ever seen has different tiers of shared hosting, so if you meet/exceed a cap on the lower-tier one, upgrade for a few more dollars a month and get much higher caps.

You don't need really nice, $50+/month hosting if you're seeing less than 25k visitors monthly over all of your sites, depending of course on your webhost's bandwidth cap. If you're exceeding or nearly hitting the cap, upgrade.

(2017-08-14, 12:29 PM)Ares St.John Wrote: [ -> ]WIth a 70usd budget overall for vpn, server, template and 2 months filling it to release it ready.
Btw what do you use for that, coming soon / maintenance page

i will be honest i never knew what portal was for…
I'm assuming VPN is a typo here -> VPN = Virtual Private Network, and has nothing to do with web hosting/servers; VPS = Virtual Private Server, which is typically the type of hosting you'll upgrade to when shared hosting is no longer viable for you.

(2017-08-14, 12:29 PM)Ares St.John Wrote: [ -> ]@Ashley maybe that will be a starting point a premium shared cpanel managed hosting or a 2gb vpn i don't see my budget stretch…but if doesn't work the thing is you only have to scale to vpn with cpanel or do the whole work for migrating all.
But managed would be heavenly for a non programmer
CPanel has nothing to do with shared hosting vs a VPS, it's just a tool for managing your hosting and your sites conveniently. Power users likely hardly mess with CPanel for example, preferring to use SSH and configure their servers manually.

(2017-08-14, 12:29 PM)Ares St.John Wrote: [ -> ]I was looking at some functionalities that would improve usability

and saw a paid plugin for drag and drop (mydropzone) and from all the templates i have seen i saw one called Darkfire that would work fine with fewer tweaks
Have you guys try them or know their quality and support
I would move this to a different thread, this is just going to convolute the information being asked/given especially if someone has server config questions in the future and is looking at this thread. Plugins have largely nothing to do with server configuration, especially when the majority of your questions here are revolving around your other 3/4 sites that make up the bulk of your traffic and aren't MyBB-related.