MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User able to login even though not activated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I noticed this today that if a new user registers, then he can login even if his account is not activated i.e. he doesn't click on activation link in email. Although he cannot post anything but still isn't it strange that a user can login?

Version: 1.8.12
New installation
Hello,

This is normal. Users awaiting activation can not do anything on the forum. If you want them to be more noticeable go to Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> Groups -> Awaiting Activation and change the user groups color and permissions if you would like.

If you need anymore support feel free to reply.
(2017-08-15, 01:44 PM)Brian. Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

This is normal. Users awaiting activation can not do anything on the forum. If you want them to be more noticeable go to Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> Groups -> Awaiting Activation and change the user groups color and permissions if you would like.

If you need anymore support feel free to reply.

I didn't find any color option in "Awaiting Activation" group settings.
It’s under Username Style change {username} to 
<span style="color: COLOR HERE;">{username}</span>

Where it says “COLOR HERE” but the name of the color you want. Remember you can also you HTML colors just remember to put # in front of the numbers.

If you need anymore support please reply.
I'd like to piggy-back on this question. . .
Can a non-activated registered user still access their Control Panel and enter data into their signature?  Even though not activated?
(2017-08-17, 12:23 AM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to piggy-back on this question. . .
Can a non-activated registered user still access their Control Panel and enter data into their signature?  Even though not activated?

Try testing it out and get back to us lol. Make a dummy user and login as them and see what happens.
(2017-08-17, 12:29 AM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-17, 12:23 AM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to piggy-back on this question. . .

Try testing it out and get back to us lol. Make a dummy user and login as them and see what happens.

Okay, I tried it on localhost.  A non-activated registered user does have access to their Control Panel.
But, the "Signature" option is not available.
I asked this because I think some people register and activate simply to get shown on the "Please welcome our newest member:"
Google picks up on the username in the "Please welcome newest member" and it helps the user score higher in SEO.
I've found one recent user that registered on multiple forums yesterday.  And his signature was his name linked to his website.   He has made NO Posts. . .and only did it for SEO purposes.

Check your newest user names in Google search.  Also check IP address to see if it's pertinent to your area.
(2017-08-17, 02:29 AM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-17, 12:29 AM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]

Okay, I tried it on localhost.  A non-activated registered user does have access to their Control Panel.
But, the "Signature" option is not available.
I asked this because I think some people register and activate simply to get shown on the "Please welcome our newest member:"
Google picks up on the username in the "Please welcome newest member" and it helps the user score higher in SEO.
I've found one recent user that registered on multiple forums yesterday.  And his signature was his name linked to his website.   He has made NO Posts. . .and only did it for SEO purposes.

Check your newest user names in Google search.  Also check IP address to see if it's pertinent to your area.

Good to know, and yeah spammers definitely do that. If they can't post they'll register and immediately try changing their signature and website/profile info for whatever they're spamming. Anything for more links.