MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disable all email functions?/mail server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My host (me), well actually my ISP does not allow me to host a mail server, and I could not find one that works with the PHP built-in mail function. Is it possible to disable all email functions (registration, forgot password, notify by email, email members) instead of just disallowing email in the usergroup settings? Or any idea where to find a mail server that doesn't require authentication or a username/password and works on standard ports (I heard that open relays are illegal though?!) or maybe if I can set it up to work with Gmail or Inbox.com?
Oh, may I mention that I have a free domain with no email addresses. Is it possible to send email with just an IP?
You might have to modify the code to use an external SMTP server (although this will be included in MyBB 1.4). Usually your Internet Service Provider will give you a SMTP server to use with your @yourisp.com email.
Thanks for your help. My ISP does not provide me with email or a domain. I use a free DynDNS.org domain and free email from Gmail. But is there a way to just disable all email functions for now until I figure something out (maybe a one-line change or something)?
You'd have to manually remove the links to all the pages which generate emails, and remove the options which generate emails.

However, if you want to just disable MyBB from sending mail out, you can remove this line from inc/functions.php:
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
Thank you, that will make the error messages go away Smile
Yeah, but people will still be under the impression that the email was sent out Sad