MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Collaborative Research
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a group of researchers that discuss specific subjects; a layered discussion is what we have have been utilising to date (via a different forum software), but what would be ideal is an environment to collate information (to also discuss using the traditional layered discussion), whereas currently information can get lost in amongst the many posts.  Currently, a single member (the OP) takes this responsibility on, but this is impractical, unfair (on the the OP) and can be a tad messy.

What we need is to have space at the top of the layered discussion to collate the information that anybody on the forum can alter

On a basic level, if I was to request a plugin (and maybe one exists) is a first post that anyone can edit or some sort of section above the posts where Collaborative Research can be performed

Besides the above, if there are any ideas about how the above may be achieved, that would be great!
Easiest way I could think to do this is have your research discussions all within a specific forum category, and give everyone who needs to discuss in that category gets moderator privs. Obviously this is dependent on how much you trust each of these people, but that's really the only way you're going to be able to let everyone modify a thread easily.

Another easy alternative is just cut off discussion in threads if they get too long. Don't make one or two huge megathreads, especially if you trust and know a lot of the people that use the forum and don't need to worry much about spam. When a discussion hits 2/3 pages in one thread, just cut it and start a new thread that becomes the new official discussion thread on that topic, with the OP of the new thread combining all current info from the old.

It honestly sounds more like you're trying to use a discussion board as a wiki page as well, which is obviously not its intention. Is there any reason a wiki doesn't work for your needs here?
A Wiki is exactly the sort of platform we want, but from day today members prefer the simplicity (and familiarity) of a forum. Ideally, we want to combine the two, either onsite or (from Subject to Subject/ Thread to Thread) on the same page. In a perfect world, there would be a section top of page dedicated to making notes and observations, but guess this is not viable

I'm just playing around with Wiki plugin for MyBB, and I think it may suit our needs, but still welcome any ideas and opinions Smile
(2017-08-19, 05:06 PM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]A Wiki is exactly the sort of platform we want, but from day today members prefer the simplicity (and familiarity) of a forum.  Ideally, we want to combine the two, either onsite or (from Subject to Subject/  Thread to Thread) on the same page.  In a perfect world, there would be a section top of page dedicated to making notes and observations, but guess this is not viable

I'm just playing around with Wiki plugin for MyBB, and I think it may suit our needs, but still welcome any ideas and opinions Smile

Sure thing. I mean this can definitely be accomplished with a plugin, don't get me wrong. Just need to find a developer.