MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What does banning a user do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What does banning a user actually do?

When I get a spammer, I ban the user and delete all it's posts if any exist.  Then I ban the IP or some range of IP's if it is in Russia or something like it, ban the user name and email address.  Then I delete the user.

Is there any reason to keep a banned user around once the IP and email address, etc. is blocked?

My forum requires the email verification thing.  But... The user count at the bottom of the index page increases as soon as the spammer registers, before the spammer completes the email verification.  I like to delete the user to maintain an accurate registered user count.

Thanks.
Banning a user doesn't delete his posts, you will need to use a plugin or write a task so that once a user is banned, he gets deleted as well automatically. You can manually delete banned users as well or even try using purge spammer tools.

Regards
WallBB
Thanks for your reply, but I have further questions:

After banning a user it goes to the banned user list page.  There I use the button to prune the user's posts.  Works great.

Does banning a user:

Ban the user's IP?
Ban the user's username?
Ban the user's email address?

If it does those things, if you delete the user, does the IP, username and email address remain blocked?

When I ban a user I don't see the IP, etc., show up in the blocked lists.

What exactly does banning a user do, and what does it mean to delete the user after banning it?
Banning a user is just banning the account. It doesn't ban their IP, username, or email address. Those bans aren't linked to the specific user, and deleting the user won't remove those bans.
Maybe, think twice about deleting the user. The same spammer may come back with the old email ID and make you go through the whole process of cleansing again.
Thanks for the replies.  Much appreciated!

Mr. meetdilip:  What do you mean by "email ID"?  Are you referring to the email address?

Mr. Nathan: You said, "Banning a user is just banning the account." How exactly is the account identified? Username?

When I ban a user, what exactly happens in the background? 

When a user is banned, some specific fields in some MyBB table must be stored.  What are those fields?  What data do they contain?

When a user is banned, what specific information is stored to enable the user to be identified when the user attempts to return?   Processor ID?  NIC ID?  Some hash of various identifiers?
(2017-08-24, 04:30 AM)grepper Wrote: [ -> ]What does banning a user actually do?

When I get a spammer, I ban the user and delete all it's posts if any exist.  Then I ban the IP or some range of IP's if it is in Russia or something like it, ban the user name and email address.  Then I delete the user.

Is there any reason to keep a banned user around once the IP and email address, etc. is blocked?

My forum requires the email verification thing.  But... The user count at the bottom of the index page increases as soon as the spammer registers, before the spammer completes the email verification.  I like to delete the user to maintain an accurate registered user count.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, email verification is not enough. You need to set admin account approval. And adjust your stop forum spam settings in the ACP. That way no IP registered in the stop forum spam database will ever get pass your registration process.
Roger that Mr. Ashley1. I checked the SFS setting for checking registration and it was off! I didn't realize that. Thanks!

Still curious as to my other questions...